Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open photos within the Photos app

Hello,

I've just imported photos into the Photos app, like I always do, and if I try to right click on a photo, or double click it, the whole app freezes and I have to close the app.

My library is stored on an external HD (connected). I've repaired and restored it, still didn't help. I've created a new iphoto library on the computer HD and imported a photo to it, same issue when I try to open the photo or right click on it.

My software is up to date.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 11:48 PM

Regardless if you've been using it for a year, you still need to check it is setup correctly. You've recently upgraded to Big Sur, and this version is much more particular about disk format than versions prior to Catalina. And even then - using an incompatible format might not fail immediately, but you will be storing up trouble for the future in the form of a gradual degradation in your library.

Having said that - you still have the problem on a new internal library. That suggests something loading at start up OR something particular about the files you have just imported. I suggest the following to try.

• Does the app freeze when you click on *any* photo, or only recently imported ones? If only recently imported, has something changed (eg camera, phone, format you are saving etc)?
  • Another clean library - import some photos you know were previously working. Does it still crash?
  • If so, try creating a new user account and import the same ones into photos in that account. Does it still crash?
  • If so, try starting in safe mode. Does your library now work? If it does, restart in normal mode, and see if the issue is fixed (sometimes the clearing of caches and temporary files done by safe mode fixes some issues)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 11:48 PM in response to nikki153

Regardless if you've been using it for a year, you still need to check it is setup correctly. You've recently upgraded to Big Sur, and this version is much more particular about disk format than versions prior to Catalina. And even then - using an incompatible format might not fail immediately, but you will be storing up trouble for the future in the form of a gradual degradation in your library.

Having said that - you still have the problem on a new internal library. That suggests something loading at start up OR something particular about the files you have just imported. I suggest the following to try.

• Does the app freeze when you click on *any* photo, or only recently imported ones? If only recently imported, has something changed (eg camera, phone, format you are saving etc)?
  • Another clean library - import some photos you know were previously working. Does it still crash?
  • If so, try creating a new user account and import the same ones into photos in that account. Does it still crash?
  • If so, try starting in safe mode. Does your library now work? If it does, restart in normal mode, and see if the issue is fixed (sometimes the clearing of caches and temporary files done by safe mode fixes some issues)

Jan 6, 2021 11:29 PM in response to nikki153

Hi

Is the external drive correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jan 6, 2021 11:38 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony, thanks for coming back to me. I've been using this drive without issue for over a year - its a samsung SSD external drive, connected directly to the computer.

I have also tried a new library that is stored on my computer HD (not the external), and have the same issue - which leads me to believe it's not the drive that's the issue?

Can't open photos within the Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.