Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still using iPhoto want to switch to Photo but iPhoto library can't be imported or repaired

Hello Apple people.

I never switched from iPhoto to Photo years ago. But I would like to now.

Photo will not import or Repair the iPhoto library. It also will not create a new library for Photo. I've tried online suggestions - like dragging the old iPhoto library to the Photos icon - but again, won't import or repair.

I tried creating a copy and renaming the iPhoto file to Photos Library.photoslibrary but it won't recognize or repair that either.

I can't even import photos from any source since I can't open the Photos icon. And this is not a program that can be re-loaded according to what I read.

Thanks for any help!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:34 PM

You don't import an iPhoto library into a Photos library. Launch the Photos app with the Option key held down, click on Other button and select your iPhoto library to open. It will create a new Photos library from the iPhoto library and rename the extension of the iPhoto library to .migratedphotolibrary.

4 replies

Nov 3, 2021 3:43 AM in response to Old Toad

Upgraded from Sierra to newest OS . Photos started to create library from iphoto but 8 hours later it is still stuck halfway thru process (according to the progress bar). There is no error window.

I just now closed Photos and reopened it using your suggestion but it goes right back to where it is stuck. Any suggestions on what to do now to get it to finish process?

Still using iPhoto want to switch to Photo but iPhoto library can't be imported or repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.