Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 pro max storage issue

I received my 12 Pro Max yesterday and I started setting it up right away. I did the transfer files option instead of the iCloud download. I am guilty of taking way too many photos so I use the iCloud Photos option to save room on my phone. The process ended up transferring the photos to my new phones storage instead of keeping them in iCloud. The transfer took over 2 hours and now my storage is too full of photos to finish downloading all of my other apps and data.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 5:26 PM

kathrynfromcotati wrote:

The process ended up transferring the photos to my new phones storage instead of keeping them in iCloud.

When you store data in iCloud, it also simultaneously stores the data on your device as well albeit a smaller footprint of the data in order to conserve space on the device. Therefore, with that being said, I don't know what you mean your quote above.

The transfer took over 2 hours and now my storage is too full of photos to finish downloading all of my other apps and data.

Are you utilizing the Optimize Phone Storage feature?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 5:26 PM in response to kathrynfromcotati

kathrynfromcotati wrote:

The process ended up transferring the photos to my new phones storage instead of keeping them in iCloud.

When you store data in iCloud, it also simultaneously stores the data on your device as well albeit a smaller footprint of the data in order to conserve space on the device. Therefore, with that being said, I don't know what you mean your quote above.

The transfer took over 2 hours and now my storage is too full of photos to finish downloading all of my other apps and data.

Are you utilizing the Optimize Phone Storage feature?

iPhone 12 pro max storage issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.