Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages display can be a combo of portrait and landscape

Sometimes my Messages display will show the list of messages and message content in portrait mode but the app bar shows up on the left side like its in landscape mode. This also scrunches the input text box down so small its unusable. Normally Messages on my iPhone 12 pro with IOS 14.3 only displays Messages and the app bar in portrait mode. If I reboot my phone it fixes the problem. Does anyone else have this issue? FYI, when I rotate my phone it does not change the mixed up display

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 7:48 AM

Hello coloradoImac.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that the Messages app will sometimes appear in either landscape or portrait mode. We’re happy to help.

How long after restarting your device before Messages rotates? Are you using portrait orientation lock? If not, does this occur when using portrait orientation lock? Here’s more information on this: Rotate the screen on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know the results.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 7:48 AM in response to coloradoImac

Hello coloradoImac.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that the Messages app will sometimes appear in either landscape or portrait mode. We’re happy to help.

How long after restarting your device before Messages rotates? Are you using portrait orientation lock? If not, does this occur when using portrait orientation lock? Here’s more information on this: Rotate the screen on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Let us know the results.

Take care.

Jan 13, 2021 4:44 AM in response to coloradoImac

Sometimes my Messages display will show the list of messages and message

content in portrait mode but the swipe indicator shows up vertically on the left side of the display like

its in landscape mode. This also scrunches the input text box down so

small its unusable. I have an iPhone 12 pro with IOS 14.3 installed.

This problem is fixed if I reboot my phone but seems to happen daily for no apparent reason. Restarting the app does not help, neither does rotating my phone between portrait and landscape mode. My orientation lock is unlocked and my display zoom is set to zoomed.

I did find out after much trial and error that unsetting my display zoom from zoomed to standard seems to fix the problem. Another obscure bug for Apple to fix sometime.

NOTE: This issue may be unique to iPhone 12. My friend has an iPhone

11 running same IOS version 14.3 and does not have this problem when

setting display zoom to zoomed.

Messages display can be a combo of portrait and landscape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.