Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message Keyboard will not go Landscape

Our family has 4 iPhones. All are on the same account and have the highest IOS version installed. 2 of the phones (7 and 12 ProMax) the keyboard for text messages will turn to landscape when the phone is turned on its side. On the other 2 phones (12 and 13), the text message keyboard will not go to landscape when you turn the phone on its side. We want to be able to have the keyboard go landscape so that the keys are larger and so we can access the handwritten message feature. The Portrait Orientation Lock is NOT on. All other apps function properly when the phone is turned on its side. For example if you are using the calculator and turn the phone sideways, the additional keys show up. If you turn the phone on its side, photos rotate properly. The only function that does not change with rotating the phone is the keyboard for text messages. Is there a setting somewhere to allow the text message keyboard to rotate to landscape when phone is turned sideways?

iPhone 13 is running IOS 16.2 and has been shut down and restarted.

iPhone 13

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 7:02 PM

I have been having this issue for months and never could figure it out. Finally less than 30 minutes after posting we figured it out. The 3 newer phones (12, 12 Pro Max, 13) all have the display zoom set to larger text. This prevents the landscape keyboard on regular and mini iPhones, but does not effect the larger screen on Pro Max phones. That is why comparing all settings on the 2 newest phones did not result in any findings. On the regular size iPhone 13, we set the zoom view back to default and BINGO. Now the text keyboard rotates to landscape when the phone is rotated on it's side. I thought I would post my own resolution in case anyone else is having this issue.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2023 7:02 PM in response to DE-MilkMan

I have been having this issue for months and never could figure it out. Finally less than 30 minutes after posting we figured it out. The 3 newer phones (12, 12 Pro Max, 13) all have the display zoom set to larger text. This prevents the landscape keyboard on regular and mini iPhones, but does not effect the larger screen on Pro Max phones. That is why comparing all settings on the 2 newest phones did not result in any findings. On the regular size iPhone 13, we set the zoom view back to default and BINGO. Now the text keyboard rotates to landscape when the phone is rotated on it's side. I thought I would post my own resolution in case anyone else is having this issue.

Jan 19, 2023 6:56 PM in response to DE-MilkMan

I know that you have shut down and restarted the iPhone 13. Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Text Message Keyboard will not go Landscape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.