Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages seems confused about its orientation "portrait vs landscape"

Sometimes my Messages display will show the list of messages and message

content in portrait mode but the swipe indicator shows up vertically on the left side of the display like

its in landscape mode. This also scrunches the input text box down so

small its unusable. I have an iPhone 12 pro with IOS 14.3 installed.

This problem is fixed if I reboot my phone but seems to happen daily for no apparent reason. Restarting the app does not help, neither does rotating my phone between portrait and landscape mode. My orientation lock is unlocked and my display zoom is set to zoomed.

I did find out after much trial and error that unsetting my display zoom from zoomed to standard seems to fix the problem. Another obscure bug for Apple to fix sometime.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 11:06 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 10, 2021 11:15 AM in response to coloradoImac

Not sure which method you have used to reboot your iPhone. If you have not used the method shown below then please Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Messages seems confused about its orientation "portrait vs landscape"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.