Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV streaming

i don’t have WiFi at my place but have a jet pack from my job that I can’t use much data on and is otherwise expensive and not very effective in being a sole home WiFi system. However I can use it to set things up such as my Xbox (for updating and downloading purposes on occasion)

Now, let’s say I set up Apple TV and have a good data plan for my phone and just want to stream on a bigger screen using Apple TV. Would it work without constant wifi connection the same way I can use offline mode on my Xbox one? I’m willing to drop the dollar if I can just use it connecting with my phone. If anybody could help that’d be great. Thanks

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 3:07 PM

Your Apple TV hardware wouldn’t mind using a phone hotspot for internet connectivity. To the device, it is just another Wi‑Fi network to connect to.

Your mobile service provider might object to such use though. Read their terms and conditions and/or ask their staff. Your TV or set-top box might request a much higher quality stream than a phone would, and you will be using up your monthly data quota in a few days. You will see that even an ‘unlimited plan’ has its limits.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 3:07 PM in response to jash176

Your Apple TV hardware wouldn’t mind using a phone hotspot for internet connectivity. To the device, it is just another Wi‑Fi network to connect to.

Your mobile service provider might object to such use though. Read their terms and conditions and/or ask their staff. Your TV or set-top box might request a much higher quality stream than a phone would, and you will be using up your monthly data quota in a few days. You will see that even an ‘unlimited plan’ has its limits.

Jan 9, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Urquhart1244

While you’re right, I actually only get a data cap to which it is only slowed down very slightly if surpassed, which is rare. I can stream in full hd on my phone and plus I work way too much to have enough time to really dump into using up all of my data on streaming anyways. My main concern is the Apple TV being able to go without constant direct connectivity to WiFi. In which case I can do whatever it takes to set it up and get it into the flow of things.

Apple TV streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.