Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my phone updated to 14.3 was the emergency broadcast system turned off?

Was the emergency broadcast system turned off with the 14.3 update?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 8:27 AM

If you are unsure about the credibility of Apple during this time check it yourself to see if the option is indeed there.

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. Scroll to the very bottom of the screen.
  3. Under Government Alerts, turn the type of alert on or off.*

38 replies

Jan 11, 2021 4:52 AM in response to JeffHell63

I have IPhone 7. I updated my phone last night to 14.3 and checked my settings. My Emergency Broadcasting Alerts were all still there and still on my original settings. I am not Pro Biden, but I want to be sure I find the truths and pass them along when I can. I had turned off my automatic updates first... but I couldn’t stand not knowing. I do think it’s interesting your iPad is not showing the alert option.

Jan 11, 2021 10:24 AM in response to tricia109

So I went back to article to find the rest for you. ... *Government Alerts are supported when using a SIM card from a supported carrier. Your Apple Watch can receive these alerts if your iPhone can receive them and is nearby, or your Apple Watch is on a Wi-Fi network. With a cellular plan from a supported carrier, your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + cellular) can receive these alerts without your iPhone nearby. For more information, contact your carrier. 

*In some countries, you may not be able to disable Government Alerts.

Jan 11, 2021 2:42 PM in response to JustMe1973

From my experience with multiple devices with different iOS versions. All is well.

I have the iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and two iPads.

1) For Devices with Cellular Services, you will find the settings at Settings > Notifications > Government Alerts.

2) For Devices WITHOUT Cellular Service capability such as iPads without cellular service, you will NOT see the settings for "Amber Alert", "Emergency Alerts" and "Public Safety Alerts". This is as it was on previous version. I verified that my iPads that I didn't update, didn't have this either.

For those who feel the fuss is unwarranted, please be inclusive when considering others. With large companies blocking popular people who believe differently than the company, there are legitimate concerns.

As for the message that "Government Alerts and Emergency Alerts being disabled" - Not true - all is well.

Jan 20, 2021 8:39 PM in response to Taya_93

I looked it up on the gov website when the new changes took place for the emergency alert system (presidential alert enabled). As far as I can see, the website hasn't been updated since the information was put out. It is a cellular feature that works with phone companies. You'll receive the message through a tower within 10 minutes. I don't personally know the requirements for the iPad, but I would think that it would be only cellphones (given the information I just read). Not 100%, but that's my interpretation. I just googled emergency alert system to find that information.

Feb 17, 2021 10:18 AM in response to 808CeeCee

808CeeCee wrote:

How are you gonna tell some one what they did or didn’t get on their phone. You must work for Apple

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. No Apple employees have participated in this thread.

deggie was explaining that Apple had not turned off the feature because it would be illegal for them to do so. It is still possible that someone is having a problem with their particular phone that results in the feature not working correctly. Or it's possible that they don't understand how it works (there are not user settings if you're in Canada, for example).

When my phone updated to 14.3 was the emergency broadcast system turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.