Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is ios 14.2 compatible with itunes 12.9?

is iTunes 12.9.5.5 on a MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 (mojave) compatible with IOS 14.2 on a iPhone SE first generation?

iPhone SE, iOS 10

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 2:54 PM

When that update was offered it was a patch to iTunes to allow it communicate with the device running iOS 14.3. In the past iTunes would get updated from time to time to catch up with iOS changes, but since iTunes was essentially frozen in Mojave this has been the method.

tt2

3 replies

Jan 10, 2021 9:08 AM in response to gepardo

It should be.

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Jan 10, 2021 2:30 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

thank you for your answer.

The question emerged when tried to connect the iPhone of a friend with IOS 14.3 to iTunes 12.9 and got a prompt saying that an update of iTunes was necessary. But this same version of iTunes offers an update of my own iPhone (with IOS 10.3) to IOS 14.2. So I wonder if my iPhone after update to IOS 14.2 would still connect to iTunes as it is, because I don't want to change anything on the mac but would like to update the iPhone.

is ios 14.2 compatible with itunes 12.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.