Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook is eating RAM memory

Hi folks,

I have a late 2013 Macbook pro that is using 8gb of RAM on simple tasks as Safari and Mail. Using final cut pro is a very slow because it uses all of my 16gb of RAM.

I conducted this test if anyone can help to alocate the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Pablo

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 10:12 AM

For future reference, please make sure you are not stressing over something that changed over seven years ago. Starting with macOS 10.9 in Oct 2013, Apple re-engineered its RAM allocation scheme based on the principle that “unused RAM is wasted RAM.” "Free RAM" may be good for Windows but the current metrics for Mac RAM evaluation changed in 2013 to "Memory Pressure" and "Swap Used."

Using Activity Monitor's† Memory tab (in Applications >Utilities), if Pressure is in the green and Swap Used is zero or nearly so, everything is working normally.

This screenie is from an older iMac after updating to OS 10.9 and the new RAM scheme. Note how much of its installed RAM was being used, yet the computer was running flawlessly.

Here is an Apple support article on the subject: View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

And another: Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

If you are still worried about RAM usage, all you need do is to restart the computer once a week or so.

† — For best results, set Activity Monitor's "View" option to "All Processes."

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Chantus

For future reference, please make sure you are not stressing over something that changed over seven years ago. Starting with macOS 10.9 in Oct 2013, Apple re-engineered its RAM allocation scheme based on the principle that “unused RAM is wasted RAM.” "Free RAM" may be good for Windows but the current metrics for Mac RAM evaluation changed in 2013 to "Memory Pressure" and "Swap Used."

Using Activity Monitor's† Memory tab (in Applications >Utilities), if Pressure is in the green and Swap Used is zero or nearly so, everything is working normally.

This screenie is from an older iMac after updating to OS 10.9 and the new RAM scheme. Note how much of its installed RAM was being used, yet the computer was running flawlessly.

Here is an Apple support article on the subject: View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

And another: Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

If you are still worried about RAM usage, all you need do is to restart the computer once a week or so.

† — For best results, set Activity Monitor's "View" option to "All Processes."

My macbook is eating RAM memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.