Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library from external drive

Hello,

I stored 2 of my photo libraries on an external hard drive and i was trying to upload them in the cloud because i bought the storage plan. I couldn't find a way to do that,,,i am going to mention that the library has like 30 thousand pictures. Is there somebody who knows how to do this?

Thank you.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 11:48 PM

Hi

With iCloud, you can only have one library at a time synced with iCloud, and can only have one library IN Icloud. To select which one that is, you need to designate it as the system library. To do so:

Open that library in photos. Go to Photos>preferences. Click the "use as system photos library". You will also need to set the iCloud settings as shown in the second screenshot.

If you want all the photos from both libraries in the cloud, you can do that with the first, then WAIT until the sync is complete (This will take many days with the size of your libraries), then set the other to the system library and wait again.

Be aware - this will also sync the photos from the first library into the second, and you will have a single library (and iCloud) with all images from both libraries in.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 11:48 PM in response to mihaela22

Hi

With iCloud, you can only have one library at a time synced with iCloud, and can only have one library IN Icloud. To select which one that is, you need to designate it as the system library. To do so:

Open that library in photos. Go to Photos>preferences. Click the "use as system photos library". You will also need to set the iCloud settings as shown in the second screenshot.

If you want all the photos from both libraries in the cloud, you can do that with the first, then WAIT until the sync is complete (This will take many days with the size of your libraries), then set the other to the system library and wait again.

Be aware - this will also sync the photos from the first library into the second, and you will have a single library (and iCloud) with all images from both libraries in.

Photo library from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.