Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heart Rate Monitor Malfunctioning

When I'm exercising, often my watch isn't registering a heart rate. This never used to happen and I have the watch fastened firmly and in the correct place on my wrist. On a recent run, it logged my heart rate as being 86 BPM, which is physically impossible and just over half the heart rate that I usually log for that speed and distance. Please advise.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 11:03 AM

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Tips for a more accurate heart rate reading.

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

You can further improve its accuracy using these tips.

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 11:03 AM in response to NutritionGeek

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Tips for a more accurate heart rate reading.

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

You can further improve its accuracy using these tips.

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Heart Rate Monitor Malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.