Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heart rate monitor not recording during workouts

Hi,

I have a series 6 Apple Watch and it has stopped recording my heart rate during workouts. This is happening sporadically during walks, running and while using fitness +. Sometimes, once I realise it is not recording my heart rate I can trick it into doing so by using my Heart Rate app and forcing it to take a reading, which is then recorded on the workout app, but not always. When I check under my watch, the green lights are always on, just not recording my heart rate.

I have already made sure that my watch is not in power saving mode in the workouts app and I have unpaired and repaired my watch twice with the same issue still happening.

Can anyone help? I’m at the point I think it must be a fault with the watch but wanted to check here first.

Thanks in advance

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 5:14 PM

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 5:14 PM in response to Gump980

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 17, 2021 12:34 AM in response to Gump980

The HRM on the AW 6 can be temperamental, especially in colder weather if outside. Mine was hit and miss when I first got it and wore it on my left wrist. I changed to my right wrist which is slightly bigger and also changed the strap to a solo braided loop ( £15 from Amazon UK ) which is a more comfortable and snug fit without being too tight. I also wear it slightly further away from my wrist bone which is easier to do with a solo loop. My HRM now works perfectly, at rest, walking and running.

Heart rate monitor not recording during workouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.