Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp

Hello!

I‘ve just bought a new MacBook Pro 13 inch (2020, i5 10th generation, 16gb ram and 1tb ssd, latest version of macOX Catalina).

I want to install windows 10 using boot camp. I have a few questions about this proces:

• They recommend making a back up before using boot camp. I’m thinking I don’t have to this since my MacBook is brand new and has nothing on it. Is this correct or should I back macOS itself?
  • I have to partition the hard drive. My old MacBook had a 750gb hdd, with 350gb in use. My old windows had a 128gb ssd, with 65gb in use. I’m primarily going to use macOS, but for work I have one specific software program that I need, which only runs on windows. I was thinking dividing it in 800gb for macOS en 200gb for boot camp. Since this is irreversible I wanted to ask some advice first!

Thank you!

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 9:22 AM

Liese_D wrote:

• Hello!
I‘ve just bought a new MacBook Pro 13 inch (2020, i5 10th generation, 16gb ram and 1tb ssd, latest version of macOX Catalina).
I want to install windows 10 using boot camp. I have a few questions about this proces:
They recommend making a back up before using boot camp. I’m thinking I don’t have to this since my MacBook is brand new and has nothing on it. Is this correct or should I back macOS itself?
• I have to partition the hard drive. My old MacBook had a 750gb hdd, with 350gb in use. My old windows had a 128gb ssd, with 65gb in use. I’m primarily going to use macOS, but for work I have one specific software program that I need, which only runs on windows. I was thinking dividing it in 800gb for macOS en 200gb for boot camp. Since this is irreversible I wanted to ask some advice first!

Thank you!

If this is a M1 Mac you can not run Bootcamp or Windows OS natively.

Mac computers with Apple silicon:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

You need to run it via a Virtual Machine— see Parallels Desktop.app

"We switched Parallels Desktop to universal binary and optimized its virtualization code; and the version that we are eager to try on these new MacBook Air, Mac mini and MacBook Pro 13" new M1 SoC"

by Nick Dobrovolskiy

Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon Mac

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-apple-silicon-mac/

———————————————

Otherwise reference— Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant ...

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 9:22 AM in response to Liese_D

Liese_D wrote:

• Hello!
They recommend making a back up before using boot camp. I’m thinking I don’t have to this since my MacBook is brand new and has nothing on it. Is this correct or should I back macOS itself?

Thank you!

If this is a M1 Mac you can not run Bootcamp or Windows OS natively.

Mac computers with Apple silicon:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

You need to run it via a Virtual Machine— see Parallels Desktop.app

"We switched Parallels Desktop to universal binary and optimized its virtualization code; and the version that we are eager to try on these new MacBook Air, Mac mini and MacBook Pro 13" new M1 SoC"

by Nick Dobrovolskiy

Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon Mac

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-apple-silicon-mac/

———————————————

Otherwise reference— Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant ...

Jan 11, 2021 9:29 AM in response to Liese_D

Liese_D wrote:

Hello, Thank you for your feedback! But this MacBook is NOT the M1 version. It it the latest intel model (i5 10the generation). I especially choose this one to be able to in Boot Camp.

What is the issue—

If you value your user data always advised to have a current backup.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Jan 11, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Liese_D

As long are you have the specs you posted:

(2020, i5 10th generation,

you should be OK.

This article has information on partition size:

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

I was thinking dividing it in 800gb for macOS en 200gb for boot camp.

That should be fine as long as you don't need piles of MacOS space or cannot off-load data files to an external.

I boot-camped an older iMac to run Win7/64 and gave it 1/8th or about 160GB of a 1TB mech hard drive even though I did not plan to install alot of Win software. I would not have wanted less than a 128GB partition for Win 7. There should be no issues with your 1TB SSD. The people who end up stuck are those who bought entry-level notebook Macs with 128GB SSDs. The above article discusses where extrra drive space is helpful

The funny thing about that old iMac (2010 27-inch; 2.93ghz quad i7; 1TB VRAM) is that it was the faster Win computer in our entire organization at the time! And it still worked as a Mac.

Jan 11, 2021 9:52 AM in response to Liese_D

Liese_D wrote:

Thank you! Yes, I definitely have the intel version!
You said you wouldn’t go under 128GB for windows 7. Would you advise more for windows 10? The article stated 64GB, but if possible 128GB. But I’m thinking more would be better?
Just to be sure: do I need to back up macOS before using boot camp? I don’t have any personal files or apps on the MacBook so far, but just to be sure I want to know if I should back up the operating system? I think I don’t, but just want to be sure! 😃

If you have no user data, there is no concern.

The help topic states " at least 128GB of free storage space ", on the Mac side.

Sure you can have more GB for your Windows side if that suits you needs better.

Partition as you see fit. Use the Bootcamp assistant.

You can as always reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

if you have an issue

Jan 11, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you! Yes, I definitely have the intel version!

You said you wouldn’t go under 128GB for windows 7. Would you advise more for windows 10? The article stated 64GB, but if possible 128GB. But I’m thinking more would be better?

Just to be sure: do I need to back up macOS before using boot camp? I don’t have any personal files or apps on the MacBook so far, but just to be sure I want to know if I should back up the operating system? I think I don’t, but just want to be sure! 😃

Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.