Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Shared File for Time Machine Backup between Two MacBooks

I'm attempting to backup my newer MacBook Pro (2019, 16-inch, Catalina 10.15.7) to a shared file folder on my old MacBook Pro (2011, 15-inch, Sierra 10.12.6). When setting up the shared file, it does not allow for me to select "Advanced Options" in order to set the folder for use with Time Machine. I was told that this is due to the destination Mac having Sierra and that this is only possible for Mojave, which is not supported on my older Mac. However, I have seen plenty of people doing this kind of backup on High Sierra systems. Would I be able to update this older mack to High Sierra and use the shared file folder as a Time Machine backup for my newer system? If not, what other workarounds are possible? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 8:25 AM

At about Catalina, the Format of the drive makes a dramatic change, and is no longer suitable for any older Mac backup sets.

The most sensible work-around would be to get another drive and do the backups for these separate Macs onto different backup drives.

if you have not bought a drive recently, you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheap they have become. Remember, you do not need FAST for Time machine backups, but larger is better.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 8:25 AM in response to Charlie_Foxtrot

At about Catalina, the Format of the drive makes a dramatic change, and is no longer suitable for any older Mac backup sets.

The most sensible work-around would be to get another drive and do the backups for these separate Macs onto different backup drives.

if you have not bought a drive recently, you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheap they have become. Remember, you do not need FAST for Time machine backups, but larger is better.

Using Shared File for Time Machine Backup between Two MacBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.