Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backup over wifi with el capitan

I'm attempting to set up Time Machine backups for both my iMac and my macbook pro. Both machines are older and running El Capitan. I have Time Machine successfully going on my iMac and have read on the Apple help pages how to make a folder on my iMac a Time Machine destination for other computers on my network. I've gone through the instructions of making the folder shared and I can access it from my other computer. However, I keep seeing an instruction to select "Advanced Options" when I control-click on the name of the folder in the shared settings menu, but I do not have an "Advanced Options" option available to me. There's no where that I can see to actually make this a Time Machine destination. Is this even available on this OS? Has anyone else been able to set up a Time Machine backup over wifi?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 10:38 AM

Hello,

Is the hard disk connected to your Macintosh using USB, Thunderbolt, or connected to a Wi-Fi router? Is the router an Apple AirPort Extreme? If the router is not an AirPort, are you certain that it supports acting as a Time Machine destination?

Similar questions

4 replies

time machine backup over wifi with el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.