Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password not working

My MacBook Air lets me sign in but just jiggles when I try to unlock system preferences. I've been trying to get into the server from recovery to reset passwords for 45 minutes! It won't connect. Going on day 3 trying to fix this issue, arghhhh.

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 11:54 AM

Ok. In that case, your MacBook Air has an Intel processor, and also has the Apple T2 Security Chip.

I doubt whether this will work, but try starting up in Single User Mode: Hold down Command-S as you turn on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when one of the following appear:

• If you see white lines of text on a black screen, you successfully launched Single User Mode. Wait for the text to stop moving, then type "exit" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return) to launch normal macOS.
  • If the login screen immediately appeared, enter your password to continue. Then, look for one of the other two signs.
  • If you see the Apple logo (or your user account picture) and a progress bar instead, Single User Mode did not launch on your Mac.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Support-not

Ok. In that case, your MacBook Air has an Intel processor, and also has the Apple T2 Security Chip.

I doubt whether this will work, but try starting up in Single User Mode: Hold down Command-S as you turn on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when one of the following appear:

• If you see white lines of text on a black screen, you successfully launched Single User Mode. Wait for the text to stop moving, then type "exit" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return) to launch normal macOS.
  • If the login screen immediately appeared, enter your password to continue. Then, look for one of the other two signs.
  • If you see the Apple logo (or your user account picture) and a progress bar instead, Single User Mode did not launch on your Mac.

Password not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.