Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crossfade in Apple Music on iPhone

Is the iPhone still incapable of crossfading between songs played on Apple Music? I've read older posts that this was not possible but since they were from 2017 and have not been updated I wanted to check.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 7:15 AM

Hello Cma524,

We understand you'd like to have your Apple Music fading between songs. We'd be happy to provide information.

With Apple Music on macOS Big Sur, you can select to crossfade and the timing in Music > Preferences > Playback tab > Crossfade songs. Fade between songs in Music on Mac

Crossfade is not an option with Apple Music for iOS. Play music on iPhone

You can leave feedback for Apple here: Product Feedback

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 7:15 AM in response to cma524

Hello Cma524,

We understand you'd like to have your Apple Music fading between songs. We'd be happy to provide information.

With Apple Music on macOS Big Sur, you can select to crossfade and the timing in Music > Preferences > Playback tab > Crossfade songs. Fade between songs in Music on Mac

Crossfade is not an option with Apple Music for iOS. Play music on iPhone

You can leave feedback for Apple here: Product Feedback

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Mar 3, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Hozainov

I think that letting Android users of Apple Music crossfade for up to 12 seconds and not loyal iOS Apple Music users like myself have that function is a slap in the face for our loyalty to Apple and it’s devices… I have an Android tablet with Apple Music installed and because my playlists are identical to the app on my iPhone 12 Pro Max I am tending to listen to them more and more on my Android tablet for one simple reason, crossfading! Please Apple give the iPhone users of fantastic Apple Music what we deserve, the crossfading function you’ve seen fit to give to users of Android devices ASAP! (TBH I’m getting a bit sick of paying for 2 music streaming services for use on my iPhone 12 Pro Max (Apple Music & Spotify) when Apple Music is my favourite just so I can have crossfading on my iPhone by using Spotify just because it does include crossfading!!!)

Mar 3, 2021 5:57 AM in response to Hozainov

Thanks 🙌🏻

If Apple can add crossfading to the Android app it obviously wouldn’t be impossible to give it to us iOS Apple Music app users! Hopefully adding it to iOS soon is being worked on as I write this, if it isn’t I say shame on you Apple for giving Android users of Apple Music something you should have given us first!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 👱🏻‍♂️❤️🍎🤞🏻

Mar 3, 2021 1:28 PM in response to cma524

I've been waiting for this function for long enough . Next phone will be an Android, and next music service Spotify .

What's worse is the App Store has got rid of all the third party apps that would enable on the fly cross fading from iTunes . And newer iPads / versions of iOS etc won't run software I already own for no other reason than control freak dry.

Devices shouldn't really be getting less useful with each reiteration, but somehow Apple is managing it.

May 8, 2021 7:10 AM in response to cma524

not working with macbook big sur 2021. we have to request this feature, engineers say, "this is not expected to work anymore" which makes apple music non musical to me. Crossfade is a basic musical function. It's still in the app, but will not be transmitted on airplay, only on my headphone jack. But who is not wireless these days? We have to request https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/music/muse5e9ec085/mac

May 8, 2021 7:19 AM in response to Edge5500

apple music service has crossfade option working on my old 2009 macbookpro! Big sur...well no more xfade....we have to request the feature over and over as of may 8, I got told that engineers do not expect it to work, we did not program it to work, they decided to remove this incredibly musical feature. We have to request it as often as needed https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/music/muse5e9ec085/mac by going down the page, answer NO not helpful and than ask for feature. https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

May 8, 2021 7:21 AM in response to Edge5500

yes this is what makes it more musical, this is a pro feature to me... apple music service has crossfade option working on my old 2009 macbookpro! Big sur...well no more xfade....we have to request the feature over and over as of may 8, I got told that engineers do not expect it to work, we did not program it to work, they decided to remove this incredibly musical feature. We have to request it as often as needed https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/music/muse5e9ec085/mac by going down the page, answer NO not helpful and than ask for feature. https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

Jan 31, 2022 2:57 AM in response to cma524

@all

Crossfading is available on Android but not iOS due to it being different Teams working on the music app who do not talk to each other.

Apple doesn’t read these posts, but will read feedback received.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html

Feel free to copy/paste the following:

Dear Apple Music Team,

Please add Crossfading to the Apple Music app on iOS (just as in the Android app). You can refer to this thread that has been upvoted over 1,300 times: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252308592?

Yours sincerely,

x

Mar 15, 2021 9:27 PM in response to The90sNewton

Just in case some of you guys don’t know what having Crossfading on App Music looks like here’s a screenshot grabbed from my Android tablet Apple Music app that does let us use crazy (and it’s f#?¥ing really good at what it does! For now I’m able to control my anger at Apple for not giving Crossfading to iOS and resist dumping Apple Music and just using Spotify… Apple are releasing iOS 14 updates to Public Beta testers like me at a rate of knots but still can’t be bothered to do the right thing by their loyal iPhone users by giving us something they’ve seen fit to give to users of a operating system that is in direct competition to iOS… I like to think I am a very intelligent person (Bsc Degree & Registered Mental Nurse but I can’t get my head around Apple’s almost insulting decision to give Crossfading to the Android app and not ours🤬🤨?!!!). EVEN MY PATIENCE WITH APPLE WILL EVENTUALLY REACH THE END OF ITS LIMIT AND I’LL SAY 🖕🏻TO APPLE MUSIC!

Mar 4, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Jayums

Agreed…

But to say you are planning on abandoning your iPhone for Android is a bit drastic IMHO. iPhone has only become better with each “reiteration” not less! The fact that Apple Music for iOS hasn’t got crossfading at the moment surely doesn’t rule out it being added some time in the future, if Apple doesn’t want to start haemorrhaging users of it’s fantastic phones to Android devices because of something that they could fix with an iOS Apple Music app update bringing the iOS version in line with the Android version, then they must see it is in Apple’s financial interests to give users of the iOS Apple Music the much desired feature of crossfading ASAP. I’m not planning on abandoning iPhone because a feature I really want is currently missing from iOS Apple Music but I’m definitely thinking of dumping Apple Music if crossfading isn’t brought to it soon, I can’t afford to carry on paying for 2 music streaming services every month, currently £20 per month between the 2 of them, so based on the fact that Spotify is the app that helps me enjoy my playlists most because of crossfading (and it does a fantastic job helped by my choosing tracks for my playlists that contribute to how good the crossfading sounds…) Spotify is the music streaming app that will probably continue to be used on my iPhone 12 Pro Max eventually! I love being a citizen of the Applesphere but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth to see Android users of Apple Music be given a feature that should have come to iPhone first (and this topic existing on Apple Communities shows I’m not alone in feeling strongly about Apple giving crossfading to the Android app before the iOS version…). PLEASE APPLE IF YOU ARE WORKING ON ADDING CROSSFADING TO THE NATIVE iOS APPLE MUSIC APP LET US KNOW SOMEHOW AND BY DOING SO AVOID USERS OF YOUR FANTASTIC PHONES DEFECTING TO ANDROID WHEN THAT COULD BE AVOIDED BY A SIMPLE BUT MUCH NEEDED UPDATE TO iOS APPLE MUSIC BRINGING CROSSFADING TO IT.

Mar 4, 2021 3:02 PM in response to DJ_FAERIDUST

It's not drastic .

it's based on the fact that I'm pretty old , liked iTunes , had software that could do what I wanted (that I paid for) e.g. cross fade on the fly . I just want to buy / own songs and use them how I wish e.g crossfade at any point in the track.

This has been replaced by Apple Music which I enjoy but doesn't do what I want it to do . And furthermore apple is preventing me from using software I wanted to use with my old iTunes songs and I can't do that now either.

The only reason I can see is they didn't like third party apps offering functions that they won't offer themselves because of control freakery.

preventing crossfade when it's perfectly possible is bad enough , but when you make your devices unable to do things that they could do previously is retrograde / bizarre.

as I play music in function halls I can no longer use my Apple devices to do this, so it isn't a case of me having a hissyfit , just a reality

Mar 5, 2021 8:10 PM in response to Jayums

I’ve taken on board everything you’ve said and understood 100%. Not for a minute would I accuse you of throwing an “hissyfit”, just like me you obviously feel very strongly about Apple not playing fair with those of us who choose to put our money in their bank account and not one of their rivals… I was 26 a couple of weeks ago and I’ve not known any other brand than Apple since I was given my first iPhone by my parents. Having said that not one of my many friends who were also mad keen Apple device users is still using tech made by Apple, one by one they have all abandoned Apple for various personal reasons and switched to tech running Android. I do agree with one thing they all had decided about Apple, that sometimes when we buy a piece of Apple tech it seems we are handing control of how we use whichever Apple device we are using with our £££/$$$ when we buy it… I love my Apple tech enough to be able put up with them dictating as to what I can and can’t do with it. As for the much desired crossfading function being absent from iOS Apple Music at the moment I’m willing to give them a bit longer to add it in an update in the not too distant future (a bit longer not until this time next year…). I really can’t get my head around why Apple gave crossfading to Android users before those who spend their hard earned pennies on iPhones & iPads, it just doesn’t make sense (but there again we are talking about Apple… 🙃). I love my iPhone 12 Pro Max but still can’t help feeling something is missing when I find myself using Spotify over Apple Music to enjoy my playlists without those really irritating breaks between tracks (listening to my playlists on Spotify on my Apple Watch does mean not having crossfading but I can live with that because I am so grateful we can finally stream from Spotify using the cellular function of my Apple Watch, I had begun to think that would never be possible).

Mar 15, 2021 3:51 PM in response to cma524

this is actually the main reason I switched from Apple Music to Tidal. its like beating a dead horse trying to figure out why they won't add it despite it being a highly requested feature. New apps like "Free Your Music" made switching easy and painless. I was able to keep all my playlist and move them to another service. Enjoying them how I intended. With seamless transitions... Cross fade adds a whole new dimension to good playlist and I encourage all of you to speak with your dollars and just leave the service if you're as unsatisfied as I was. This question has been purposed since 2017 with no real reason given as to why. Let's just move on.

Mar 27, 2021 6:45 PM in response to raina_b22

A feedback ? ok here's mine. So far I pay almost $40 a month for Apple One services. But knowing that Apple offers something to Android user that I can't have myself on an iPhone is ******* me off. So here's what I'll do : If the crossfade feature is not added within the next three months, I'll revert back to Tidal and I'll cancel all of Apple One manu militari. As easy as that...

Crossfade in Apple Music on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.