Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photo Mac and iCloud, random sync of photos

Not all photos in the iCloud are visible in Apple Photo on my Mac. So some are available and some don't synchronise. Someone an advice what to check or how to solve this?

Regards Wil

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 11:13 AM

6 replies

Jan 13, 2021 12:50 PM in response to wil0013

Hi - to help with diagnoisis, can you answer the questions below?

How much iCloud space is free?

How much space on your mac is free.

Where is your photo library stored? On your system drive, or on an external drive?

Have you set up icloud in phtoos preferences correctly, as shown below.?

What does the sync status say at the bottom of all photos view?

What formats are the photos that don't sync? Where have they come from?

Jan 17, 2021 5:02 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

Thanks for you response.

How much iCloud space is free? 860GB

How much space on your mac is free. 39 GB

Where is your photo library stored? On your system drive, or on an external drive? Local on the system drive

Have you set up icloud in phtoos preferences correctly, as shown below.? Yes I have the same settings

What does the sync status say at the bottom of all photos view?

What formats are the photos that don't sync? Where have they come from?

Additional

My iPad and iPhone are synchronized correctly. What I also see is that albums I created are visible in the iCloud and on my iPad and iPhone. So not on my Macbook.

Thanks in advanced!

Regards

Wil

Jan 17, 2021 5:06 AM in response to wil0013

Sorry to fast to submit

How much iCloud space is free? 860GB

How much space on your mac is free. 39 GB

Where is your photo library stored? On your system drive, or on an external drive? Local on the system drive

Have you set up icloud in phtoos preferences correctly, as shown below.? Yes I have the same settings

What does the sync status say at the bottom of all photos view? Zojuist bijgewerkt (in Dutch), means just updated.

What formats are the photos that don't sync? Where have they come from? From my iPhone Apple Camera app.

Additional

My iPad and iPhone are synchronized correctly. What I also see is that albums I created are visible in the iCloud and on my iPad and iPhone. So not on my Macbook.

Thanks in advanced!

Regards

Wil

Jan 17, 2021 5:41 AM in response to wil0013

OK - the only thing I can think of that might be a problem - is that 39GB free space on your mac is not a massive amount. It is possible that photos is not syncing the full library to avoid taking your space so low the machine starts to have problems.

What size is the library on you mac, compared to how much space is useed in iCloud for photos (I'm guessing around 140GB in iCloud)

It might be worth trying "optimise mac storage" on your mac to enable photos to off load full sized images to the cloud, and only store smaller previews on your mac.

Apple Photo Mac and iCloud, random sync of photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.