Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text notifications not showing name or number

I can't get my text notifications to show me a name or number. It's just showing that I have a message notification. I have done a lot of the tips shows in other similar questions. Below are are what I've done to try to remedy the problem

Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging. Turn it off and then turn it on again.

Settings > Contacts > Short Name and then turned the Short Name in this menu off

Editing a Contact and turning phone on then off.

Turn imessage off reset and then turned it on.

Restarted phone after making sure messages was closed.

I haven't changed any setting before this issue started.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:13 PM

Hey there, Acemeli!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your iPhone only shows when you receive a notification but doesn't give any other details on your lock screen. We know it's useful to see a message preview and we'd like to help!

Have you checked out your notification settings since seeing this on screen? If not, go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure you have "Show Previews" set to "Always" so you continue to see these on your screen even when locked.

For additional guidance with notifications:

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

A couple other steps you can take:

• Update the iOS on your device
  • Install updates from the App Store
  • Check date and time settings

Should this persist and you've checked your settings, Contact Apple Support.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 6:13 PM in response to Acemeli

Hey there, Acemeli!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your iPhone only shows when you receive a notification but doesn't give any other details on your lock screen. We know it's useful to see a message preview and we'd like to help!

Have you checked out your notification settings since seeing this on screen? If not, go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure you have "Show Previews" set to "Always" so you continue to see these on your screen even when locked.

For additional guidance with notifications:

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

A couple other steps you can take:

• Update the iOS on your device
  • Install updates from the App Store
  • Check date and time settings

Should this persist and you've checked your settings, Contact Apple Support.

Take care!

Text notifications not showing name or number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.