Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts Issues IOS14.3 - iPhone 12

I have a new iPhone 12 with IOS 14.3

Randomly this week, my phone started receiving texts from non-iphones in completely new text threads with the number formats messed up. Same goes for when I would try and respond to people in the prior thread, their response would just show up in this new thread. My imessages come in with a new format of international US in new threads, not recognizing the numbers which I already all have saved.

Went on icloud into contacts and somehow the country had changed from United States to Australia, so I changed it back to United States (where I am located). Since then, none of my contacts (even people imessage) have come in the normal text thread and when people call me their contact names no longer show up, just the numbers. I have cut contacts off on the phone, deleted ones on the phone, and let the phone sync. No luck there. I have their numbers in my contacts, but now all my numbers that were saved in my contacts (xxx) xxx-xxxx now just show up as XXXXXXXXXX format with nothing. When I try and edit those contacts, it forces them into an international format (XXX) XX XX XX and goes back to XXXXXXXXXX when I enter all 9 numbers. I have tried everything, and no clue why my phone is not recognizing what I have saved, and is trying to interpret it as +1 (XXX) XXX-XXX instead of the usual (XXX) XXX-XXXX. If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated as it is extremely frustrating. My contacts in icloud are correct, the region on my phone is set correctly to United States. I just don't understand why my contacts are trying to force formatting to a random international format, not recognizing any of my saved contacts when messaging or receiving calls, and messed up all of their formats. Dial Assist is on so I can call people, but it has been over a day since trying these and I have gotten nowhere. ICloud is mainly correct, with a few +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX numbers in there but Please help!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, 14

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 11:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 17, 2021 8:15 AM in response to DukesTigers4

Hello DukesTigers4,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities with your question. We will do all we can to get you pointed in the right direction. To start, check out this link with information on how to Format addresses and phone numbers on iCloud.com.

Additionally, check out this guide for how to Change your Apple ID country or region. We hope this information helps.

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2021 11:38 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for the response Joseph!

Unfortunately, my contacts are formatted properly in iCloud and my region is set correctly on my phone. However, no luck after resetting everything and syncing the phone it is still unfortunately messed up. The contacts format in my phone and the way it receives messages, dials out, etc. is all out of whack. In my home region I can’t dial out without putting in the area code first, and my text messages from androids come in a different thread than what I text out. Doesn’t seem that apple has a fix for this, as I’m guessing it is a software issue but really hoping I am able to fix it. Has been a nightmare to deal with this week.

Jan 18, 2021 12:37 PM in response to DukesTigers4

DukesTigers4,

We're glad you were able to check iCloud and your iPhone setting to make sure your contacts were correct. To verify, does this issue happen with all contacts? Also, do you have contacts synced with any other accounts? You can verify which accounts sync contacts by going to Settings > Contacts > Accounts, and verify which accounts you have linked to your iPhone. If you see any account other than iCloud, verify the way the contacts appear on this account.

Also, have you reached out to your carrier to see if they have changed the way phone numbers are required to be entered in when calling or texting? Some carriers require 1 and area code, while others do not.

Best regards! a

Jan 20, 2021 1:29 PM in response to barberlives123

So I have them synched to my icloud contacts, and the accounts I have selected to use. Unfortunately, my carrier (US Cellular) has not updated the contact format. I really am unsure of what exactly to do since the contacts themselves format is changed to some international format, and there is no way to change it back on the phone to the United States. Every time a non-iphone texts me it ends up in either a new thread, or if I respond back to a thread. I end up receiving my own text messages in the same group.

Just very frustrating, I contacted apple support on twitter and only got a response back of we have heard of this issue, but don't have a solution. Check for next update.

Contacts Issues IOS14.3 - iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.