Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iwatch support scam

I'm asking for a friend (truly!) She just got an iwatch. It wouldn't start after charging. Another friend advised her to call Apple Support. She googled "apple iwatch support" and called the number. She tells me she reached a scammer number, who told her that her icloud and Amazon accounts were compromised, and she would need to go to Walgreens, buy itunes cards, and give them the numbers. She did so, and lost a total of $800. Needless to say, buying itunes cards and giving the PIN number to someone over the phone should never be done.

There may be some missing details, but this was the best description I could get from her.

My question is: Has anyone heard about this kind of scam... with fraudulent support numbers and people being asked to buy itunes cards?

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 5:53 PM

FWIW, I never use any search engine to find a support number, and advise anyone I know to always use the official company website for that purpose.

FTC Advise states: Report gift cards used in a scam to the companies that issued the gift cards. Then, report it to the FTC at ftc.gov/complaint. If the gift card was not purchased from Apple there will be no value in "reporting this to Apple."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Bottlerocket

FWIW, I never use any search engine to find a support number, and advise anyone I know to always use the official company website for that purpose.

FTC Advise states: Report gift cards used in a scam to the companies that issued the gift cards. Then, report it to the FTC at ftc.gov/complaint. If the gift card was not purchased from Apple there will be no value in "reporting this to Apple."

Jan 14, 2021 5:42 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks! That's helpful. The only part that I found weird, and not understandable, was that she said she googled "apple iwatch support" and got the fraudulent number. I tried to google "apple iwatch support" and I mostly see what appear to be legit numbers. I'll ask her tomorrow more specifics.

Is there any value in reporting this to Apple?

Thanks again

iwatch support scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.