Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange/Yellow Dots

I started seeing two different dots on my phone today - either an orange dot above the battery symbol OR a yellow dot above the signal symbol - not at the same time. What do they mean? I keep finding the orange dot above the signal symbol means an app is using the microphone, but what if it is yellow and what is the dot above the battery?

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 5:37 PM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2021 12:05 PM in response to carlie168

Hi carlie168,

We see you have some questions about some colored indicators in the iPhone's status bar. We can understand wanting to know what they may be for. We'd be happy to help out with clearing that up.

This page can help with going over those small dots: About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar

An orange indicator means the microphone is being used by an app on your iPhone. A green indicator means either the camera, or the camera and the microphone are being used by an app on your iPhone.

You can find more info on various status icons and symbols that may show up here: Status icons and symbols on your iPhone

Take care!

Jan 16, 2021 12:13 PM in response to Corrie84

Yes thank you - this dot is not either of those. It is specifically directly above the battery signal and only in the Home Screen when no apps are open. I will *also* see the other dots when the microphone or camera are in use. This is *not* that. It appeared a couple days ago and will not go away. I reset my phone to factory settings and it’s still there. I can’t find anything online about this. It is also slightly larger than the privacy dots. Thoughts?!

Orange/Yellow Dots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.