Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to not transfer old photos to new phone via icloud

Hi,

I recently got a new phone and want to restore from my current devices icloud backup. However, I don't want all my old photos to transfer over. Is there a way to use the cloud backup but not transfer over the photos?

I know I could simply turn photo sharing to icloud off, but then when I turn it back on to upload new photos to icloud Im assuming that my phone will then just have all of the old photos on it which I don't want. Is there any way to keep some photos in icloud off of my new phone while still uploading new ones?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 10:51 AM

If the photos were stored in iCloud, when you turn that feature on on the new device, all photos/videos will sync and one cannot selectively choose what can or cannot be synced in this case.

The same can be said if the photos were stored on your device and you restored from a backup.

1 reply

How to not transfer old photos to new phone via icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.