Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder - Order by Date Created

Hello!

After the new year, when I try to order files by 'date created', it shows everything from 2020 backwards by year in alphabetical order and no longer by month, as is the case of files created in the current year.

Is there any way to make Finder keep ordering the files from previous years by month?

Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 3:16 AM

PleaseHelpMyMacPlease wrote:

Hello!

After the new year, when I try to order files by 'date created', it shows everything from 2020 backwards by year in alphabetical order and no longer by month, as is the case of files created in the current year.

Is there any way to make Finder keep ordering the files from previous years by month?

Thank you!

Hmm.

Data files or photo files...Photo files have some limitations here.

Are you in List view...

What happens if you drag the date column a little bigger to see more...

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

ref: Date taken on Photo Using Finder

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252281994

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 3:16 AM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

Hello!

Thank you!

Hmm.

Data files or photo files...Photo files have some limitations here.

Are you in List view...

What happens if you drag the date column a little bigger to see more...

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

ref: Date taken on Photo Using Finder

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252281994

Jan 15, 2021 6:44 AM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

With all files when I search on Finder. Expanding the bar doesn't change this, unfortunately. Thanks for your suggestions though.

I guess I do not understand what the issue is...(?) Clicking in the header area (categories sorts by that category.)

Alphabetical only if you click in the name category.

there is nothing Alphabetical here when sorting...(?)

Feb 11, 2021 2:22 AM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

This workaround worked for me too - thank you.

There's clearly a bug when viewing 2021 files in Finder. 'Date modified', 'Date created' and 'Date added' seem to work fine whereas 'Date last opened' puts the files in the wrong order with files from 2020 at the top, then 2019, then the 'earlier' section includes all the current (2021) files.

I'm on Big Sur 11.1, Finder in list view, 'Use Groups' ticked, and using 'Group by' 'Date...'.

Feb 17, 2021 1:06 AM in response to superficialt

I've also found that if you re-use a Word document (I don't know if it happens with other types of file), i.e. if you make a copy and change the document within, it will be indexed by Finder as having the same 'date created' as the original document. I hope this helps, especially if you ever need to overwrite documents or use older versions. As I said, they will all have the same created date.

Finder - Order by Date Created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.