Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ETHERNET connected but NOT working in Big Sur (Mac mini, M1 2020)

Hey there,

I got a new Mac mini, M1 2020.

Although all other connections were smoothly transferred and working after I connected my Apple ID, somehow the Ethernet wasn't, I changed a few things and then it went GREEN, aka connected.

The problem is that although it's connected it's NOT working. As soon as I turn the Wifi off, I'm not connected to the internet...

Any advice of now to fix that, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 11:20 AM

Two important things to keep in mind:

1) No two computers in the same local network can have the same IP, so admitting your PC was 10.0.0.1, your mac CANNOT have the same address.

2) When you have a 169 address it means that your computer is not being able to connect to a DHCP server. It is not surprising that it was not working earlier, and that DNS field is empty, because that would have been filled by the DHCP server.

So, for some reason, and regardless of you choosing DHCP or DHCP with manual IP address, your mac and router are not communicating properly.

You could try temporarily connecting to a different port on the router and see if that changes; even better, switch ports with that pc that is working, and see what happens.

Another thing you can try is using a different cable, but given what I see above I don't think the cable is the problem in this case.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 11:20 AM in response to Monicka Clio Sakki

Two important things to keep in mind:

1) No two computers in the same local network can have the same IP, so admitting your PC was 10.0.0.1, your mac CANNOT have the same address.

2) When you have a 169 address it means that your computer is not being able to connect to a DHCP server. It is not surprising that it was not working earlier, and that DNS field is empty, because that would have been filled by the DHCP server.

So, for some reason, and regardless of you choosing DHCP or DHCP with manual IP address, your mac and router are not communicating properly.

You could try temporarily connecting to a different port on the router and see if that changes; even better, switch ports with that pc that is working, and see what happens.

Another thing you can try is using a different cable, but given what I see above I don't think the cable is the problem in this case.

Jan 15, 2021 4:23 AM in response to Monicka Clio Sakki

It seems it is no longer possible to reset SMC or PRAM on M1 Macs.

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/28/startup-modes-for-m1-macs/

NVRAM is available in the M1 Apple Silicon Chip, but the machine is configured to automatically run test on startup and automatically reset the NVRAM if needed.

https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-reset-m1-mac-smc-nvram-pram/

Jan 15, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Monicka Clio Sakki

I totally concur with woodmeister 50.

Your settings are unusual.

My guess that all you need to do is change from "DHCP with manual IP address" to "DHCP", and let the mac and router configure the connection properly.

Another clear indication that the settings are wrong is that there is NOTHING under DNS.

This way, it will never work unless you manually type the IP addresses of servers...

On a normal DHCP the DNS furnished by the router would show up there in grey.

ETHERNET connected but NOT working in Big Sur (Mac mini, M1 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.