Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet connected to router, but not internet connection.

Hi everyone,

Since two days the following is happening: starting up my mac there is no internet connection. Ethernet is connected to router, but there is no internet. After switching the ethernet cable to the other ethernet socket on my Mac Pro then there is internet connection. This happens every time I start up my mac. Until two days ago everything was running fine.

Any suggestions?

Running Big Sur 11.2.3 on a Mac Pro (Late 2013).

Best, Mehdi

Mac Pro, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 6:53 PM

Hello mkhansari,

It sounds like you’re unable to connect to the internet when using that specific ethernet port. Let’s help.

To start, we want to make sure this isn’t a power related issue with that port. We recommend performing an SMC reset and then testing that ethernet port one more time. To perform a reset, please follow the steps here: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the behavior continues after that, we then recommend using Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac and see if it identifies any issues with the port. For a full breakdown on using Apple Diagnostics, please visit: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

If it reports any hardware issues with the port, please reach out to us here: 

We hope that helps. Take care. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 6:53 PM in response to mkhansari

Hello mkhansari,

It sounds like you’re unable to connect to the internet when using that specific ethernet port. Let’s help.

To start, we want to make sure this isn’t a power related issue with that port. We recommend performing an SMC reset and then testing that ethernet port one more time. To perform a reset, please follow the steps here: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the behavior continues after that, we then recommend using Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac and see if it identifies any issues with the port. For a full breakdown on using Apple Diagnostics, please visit: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

If it reports any hardware issues with the port, please reach out to us here: 

We hope that helps. Take care. 

Ethernet connected to router, but not internet connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.