Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Installation says not connected to internet

Trying to install Big Sur 11.2.3 from Catalina 14.0.3 on 2019 MacBook Pro 16inch. Download no problem, but about 3-4 minutes in I get a message saying not connected to the internet. Connection is in fact excellent.

Any ideas, please.

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 4:38 AM

Thanks for your replies and very helpful information.

Previously I had uninstalled AVAST, but had not restarted. I decided to uninstall the Big Sur Installer and restarted my computer. I then redownloaded the update via System Preferences, no issues and then installed it. There were no issues and install was completed in under 20minutes.

I think, perhaps, there were some remnant settings from AVAST that required a restart to clear and that these interfered with the first download or the installs.

Thanks again.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 4:38 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your replies and very helpful information.

Previously I had uninstalled AVAST, but had not restarted. I decided to uninstall the Big Sur Installer and restarted my computer. I then redownloaded the update via System Preferences, no issues and then installed it. There were no issues and install was completed in under 20minutes.

I think, perhaps, there were some remnant settings from AVAST that required a restart to clear and that these interfered with the first download or the installs.

Thanks again.

Mar 18, 2021 2:21 AM in response to Manchesteruser

How to create a bootable installer for macOS and if successful making the Installer on USB - good. Then boot from Installer >> Disk Utilities >> View All Connected devices >> Choose the Upper Most Drive ( Not Volumes list below ) Usually called Apple SSD or Apple HD >> Erase and give it a Name >> APFS and GUID Partition Map >> Erase. Now the Drive is 100% Empty - everything including Recovery Volume is gone. Back out of Disk Utilities and Install macOS.

Mar 17, 2021 1:48 PM in response to Manchesteruser

Is the computer running / installed any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs - as any of the are mentioned may and do interfere with the normal operations of the OS including downloads of new version of macOSs. If not applicable - disregard.

In which case - attempt the Big Sur from Apple Apps Store via Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at restart. Added bonus - if over Wifi - disconnect all devices using the Wifi - what to give Maximum Bandwidth to this computer.

Big Sur Installation says not connected to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.