Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random incoming calls with no way to answer, not showing caller ID or in recent call history... how do I fix this?

I thought my Mom was crazy when she called and said she couldn't answer her phone until she came to visit and it happened several times in front of me. Her phone would ring and there was no display of who was calling, no way to answer the call and it didn't show in the call history. I would test call her and my caller ID would show and I would show up in her recent calls. I did the proper troubleshooting and made sure her Do Not Disturb was off and it was. Under Do Not Disturb I went to Allow Calls From and Favorites was checked so I thought this might be the issue so I selected the Everyone option. We even turned the Airplane Mode on and off to see if this would help. She then received two calls back to back and the same thing happened again. The phone would ring nothing would show on the screen as an incoming call and nothing in recent calls. I would call her right after and no problem. I turned on the Full Screen option under Incoming calls for her and I even turned on Announce Caller but she received like two more calls and nothing showed up. I told her we were going to have to try to reset her phone and she told me she already took it to the AT&T store and the gentleman there reset it for her. What else can I do to fix this for her? Could she have downloaded an App that could be calling her phone?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:44 AM

Update....my son fixed my Mom's iPhone. He checked notifications on her phone and her emails were set on the same ringtone as her phone. Every time my Mom would receive an email it would ring the same ringtone as her iPhone having her and myself believe she was receiving an incoming call when she wasn't. LOL

My Mom swears she didn't select this setting and now she can finally sleep at night without her phone ringing in the middle of the night. I wanted to share this in case anyone else has this issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 5:44 AM in response to leesazone

Update....my son fixed my Mom's iPhone. He checked notifications on her phone and her emails were set on the same ringtone as her phone. Every time my Mom would receive an email it would ring the same ringtone as her iPhone having her and myself believe she was receiving an incoming call when she wasn't. LOL

My Mom swears she didn't select this setting and now she can finally sleep at night without her phone ringing in the middle of the night. I wanted to share this in case anyone else has this issue.

Jan 17, 2021 11:14 AM in response to leesazone

Hello leesazone,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're trying to help your Mom with her iPhone and the inability to be able to answer calls as expected. When you say the iPhone was reset, do you mean it was restored as new using Finder or iTunes? If you're unfamiliar with the process, can you ask if the steps provided in, Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings, are what was done? If so, do you know if it was tested before a backup was installed?

Given that your Mom had the phone looked at by her cellular provider, it would be a good idea to go ahead and reach out to Apple Support for additional help. You can reach them at Get Support.

Best regards.

Random incoming calls with no way to answer, not showing caller ID or in recent call history... how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.