Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On the new M1 MacBook Air, is it possible to login after startup with touch id?

I was surprised to find I cannot login to the new M1 MacBook Air using touch ID; I have to login with a password (Big Sur says you must login with password to enable touch ID). Touch ID does work elsewhere so I know it has been setup properly. In the system preferences, there is not an option to enable touch ID for login so I am assuming (?) Apple doesn't want to support touch ID at login? If so, anyone know why? Or am I missing something?

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:17 PM

You need to enter your password after powering on. The same is true for Touch ID and Face ID on iPads and iPhones.

See the following from Touch ID security - Apple Support

Apple devices with a Touch ID sensor can be unlocked using a fingerprint. Touch ID doesn’t replace the need for a device passcode or user password, which is still required after device startup, restart, or logout (on a Mac). 

It doesn't have much impact on me and many (most?) others as I rarely restart my MacBook Pro, my iPhone or my iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 6:17 PM in response to jlaca

You need to enter your password after powering on. The same is true for Touch ID and Face ID on iPads and iPhones.

See the following from Touch ID security - Apple Support

Apple devices with a Touch ID sensor can be unlocked using a fingerprint. Touch ID doesn’t replace the need for a device passcode or user password, which is still required after device startup, restart, or logout (on a Mac). 

It doesn't have much impact on me and many (most?) others as I rarely restart my MacBook Pro, my iPhone or my iPad.

On the new M1 MacBook Air, is it possible to login after startup with touch id?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.