Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch id in Ventura

My touch Id is not working in my MAC OS Ventura. Can u please help?

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 11:12 PM

After the upgrade to Mac OS Ventura (13.0.1 now), the Touch ID no longer works for unlocking the screen for me. It works fine in other places.

I tried removing the fingerprint and adding a new one. That did not help.

38 replies

Nov 12, 2022 4:55 AM in response to sridharanfromashburn

Touch ID

A fingerprint recognition feature from Apple available on some Mac computers and some Magic Keyboard models. With Touch ID, you can unlock your Mac and some password-protected items, switch quickly between users, use Apple Pay to make purchases on the web, and purchase items from the iTunes Store, the App Store, and Apple Books.

Note: Touch ID on Magic Keyboard (available on some models) is only compatible with Mac computers with Apple silicon.

To set up Touch ID, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) To use Touch ID, place your finger on it.

For addition reading specific to Touch ID ➡️ which may assist in this matter Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Nov 19, 2022 10:40 AM in response to martin_povolny

For Apple Silicon M1 iMac ( Desktop ) with Touch ID Apple Keyboard

1 - Cable the Keyboard to computer with the supplied Apple Cable that came with the Keyboard and try again

2 - ( Un-cabled to computer ) Turn Off the Keyboard and pause 10 seconds and tun it Back On and try again.

For Apple Touch ID Laptop ( Intel )

1 - Perform an SMC Reset as per linked instruction Reset the SMC of your Mac and perform this action 3x consecutively

2 - Try Again

For Apple Touch ID enable Apple Silicon M1 / M2 computers

Shutdown computer completely. Pause 15 seconds and start the computer normally. This would be equal to an Intel SMC reset ( M1 / M2 ) do not have an SMC.

All else fails to resolve this issue ➡️

Options in no special Order

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

3 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This application is Only a Diagnostic Application that will not change anything on the computer

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Feb 10, 2023 7:54 AM in response to PQuincy

Update: after some erratic and unpredictable behavior, the malfunction of TouchID has stabilized as follows:

1. For logging in after sleep, TouchID consistently is available and works.
  2. For use within a User for software, TouchID consistently works (I logged in to this Forum with TouchID)
  3. For switching from one User profile to another on my machine, Touch ID is not work, nor does the login screen say that "Your password is required". TouchID just doesn't work, and I must type my password every time. (This was not the case in Monterrey).

Apr 2, 2023 9:34 PM in response to sridharanfromashburn

Touch & Passwords grayed out then substituted by Password on iMac M1 Ventura 13.3. No idea as to why or how the function failed and was removed.

Solution:

1. Connect wireless key board (touch key) to the iMac with cable.
  2. Restart computer (menu bar → Apple menu (apple icon)→restart).
  3. Type your password when prompted after restart. Goto Apple Menu→System settings and scroll down the sidebar. The icon for Touch ID & Password should be back and functional.

This intuitive solution solved the problem for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

Feb 3, 2023 10:20 AM in response to sridharanfromashburn

This appears to be a bug in Ventura that some people have been reporting since Ventura was in beta.

Let us hope that repeated reports and comments will lead Apple to address it in the next Ventura update.

I'm pretty confident, looking at Apple's own online recommendations and on the various recommendations that the experts here have passed on, that no user mistake nor simple fix (reboot, new fingerprints, etc.) will correct this underlying bug. Apple needs to fix it.

For the record (to Apple engineers): I have several Users on my MacAir 2020 M1 -- one for work, one for private, and one without root privileges -- for different internet environments and purposes. Is this a problem affecting only people with multiple Users, or is it also affecting people with just one User?

Touch id in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.