Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete Chess game

I can't seem to remove the Chess game I downloaded to my Macbook Pro. I've tried deleting it via Launchpad and by dragging the file from Finder to the trash. It won't move.

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 8:37 PM

Why do you want to know what I care about?

10 replies

Jan 16, 2021 12:16 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your reply.

There is no error message, it just won't be deleted. If I try from the dashboard, it wiggles but remains in place after I drag it to the trash -- no "x" in the corner.

Your last paragraph was the reason I reached out. I have never encountered this situation before and thought I had opened my computer up to nefarious evildoers, despite the fact that I got it from the App Store.

I'm a graphic designer but not savvy about the inner workings of computers. This is a screenshot of the About section:

Jan 16, 2021 8:59 AM in response to ebroihier

ebroihier wrote:

Why do you want to know what I care about?

Because that is an odd request. I thought you might have run out of disk space and were thinking (erroneously) that you could delete some apps to recover disk space. Or perhaps it was something else...

Which it was. So you cannot delete an app? Do you get some kind of error message? If so, what does it say?

For the record, there is one and only one way to delete an app on the Mac - ask the developer how to do it. Any other method could leave parts of the app installed, and possibly still running on your machine, forever.

Mac App Store apps are a special case because Apple has restricted them to a sandbox. The easiest way to delete a Mac App Store app is to click and hold the icon in LaunchPad. All app icons will start to shake. Any Mac App Store apps will get a little "x" button in the top left corner of the icon. Click that "x" button to uninstall the app. Any app icon that does NOT have a little "x" button in the top left corner is something else. In that case, you MUST contact the developer and ask pretty-please how you can remove it.

Remember, when you install an app from outside the Mac App Store, you give that developer (almost) full and total control over your computer and all of your data, and possibly in the cloud too. (Recent versions of macOS have somewhat restricted this access. Now, apps have to explicitly ask for access.)

Jan 15, 2021 9:11 PM in response to ebroihier

Thanks for marking my answer as the solution. When I came back - I noticed that I missed the chess game was downloaded, not the game that comes pre-loaded on Macs. If that is the case, the way to delete an app that you downloaded is to go to Finder > Applications > CTRL + Click (right click) > Move to trash.

how to delete Chess game

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.