Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Applications Files

Just purchased new Mac mini 1 , I have an old IMAC Mid 2010 Sierra, would like to transfer just certain applications and files . Can I do this, using a Flash Drive and dragging the files, applications on to it. I am using the same computer monitor from my Old IMAC to the Mini, so can I do anything ,since I am using monitor for both computers??

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 7:36 AM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2021 8:34 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Since I am using the same monitor for both computers IMAC plus the MINI, how can I use Migration?? I have my new mini connected thru my IMAC s display port. I switch back and forth with command key plus F2. Also would this just be copying the information and keeping all on both computers?? Will I be ok, to do this, if so, where could I find the instructions. Many Thanks

Sorry I am 77 , so not very good on all these computing ,etc.

Jan 16, 2021 8:47 AM in response to picksme

It shouldn't matter which monitor you're using. The monitor is just letting you see what's going on.

If you have your serial numbers for the applications that you want to install, then just install a new copy and type in the serial numbers. For raw files just use the flash drive to copy them over.

BTW, you should have a full backup of your computer on another drive. You are basically playing with fire doing this without a backup.

Transfer Applications Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.