Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some files on external hard drive not visible on M1 MacBook Pro

I'm trying to import my music library (that is, 18GB+ worth of MP3 files) from my Seagate external hard drive onto my MacBook Pro 13". The hard drive mounts just fine, and I can see a number of other files in the drive (JPG files, PDF files, etc.), but it looks like the MP3 are not visible at all.

I tried viewing the hard drive on another MacBook Pro (with an Intel processor), and the MP3 files are there. The Intel Mac can see them just fine, but the M1 Mac behaves as though the files don't exist for some reason.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? How can I view and import these MP3 files onto the M1 Mac? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 6:50 PM

Some external USB drives are not compatible with an M1 Mac as some of the USB controller chips on the external drives just are not compatible. I know JMicron USB controllers have issues (seemed to be all of them?), but I'm not sure what other USB controllers may also have issues.

Similar questions

1 reply

Some files on external hard drive not visible on M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.