Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos using my regular storage and not iCloud storage-help!

Hello,

I usually have my photos using my iCloud storage but now it is usually my actual phone storage. I did get a new phone and my settings look the same. When I go to my iCloud to iCloud photos is on and optimize iPhone storage is selected as well. I even have the 2TB storage for iCloud. However, when I go to General, iPhone storage, it has all of my photos eating up the storage. Is there another setting that I should be using to ensure the photos are using my iCloud storage? Please advise.

Thank you!

Shanice

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 5:30 PM

shanice1210 wrote:

Hello,

I usually have my photos using my iCloud storage but now it is usually my actual phone storage. I did get a new phone and my settings look the same. When I go to my iCloud to iCloud photos is on and optimize iPhone storage is selected as well. I even have the 2TB storage for iCloud. However, when I go to General, iPhone storage, it has all of my photos eating up the storage. Is there another setting that I should be using to ensure the photos are using my iCloud storage? Please advise.

Thank you!
Shanice

Using the iCloud Photo Library will always store photos on both your device and iCloud. This is by design.

It is a syncing service, not off device storage.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 5:30 PM in response to shanice1210

shanice1210 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you!
Shanice

Using the iCloud Photo Library will always store photos on both your device and iCloud. This is by design.

It is a syncing service, not off device storage.

Photos using my regular storage and not iCloud storage-help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.