You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV app not updating or showing watch progress for video content

Across all of my devices my tv app has failed to update or even show the progress I make in shows and movies I watch. I’ve signed out of the tv app and logged back in, even going so far as to get a new device but nothing seems to solve it. It started happening at the beginning of the year. If I were to finish a show either from Apple TV+ or even just a show bought from iTunes, I have to hold press and hold on the movie in the up next section and press remove from up next, or press mark episode as watched. This makes it very troublesome when continuing a show or finding my place in a movie, as sometimes when I go back to finish something it doesn’t keep my place. Which can be extremely tedious when it drops from an internet connection. Is there any remedy for this? Or has someone encountered this experience also?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:40 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 19, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Yes, all my devices are on the same account. But when I watch a show or movie, it doesn’t show that I’ve started it in the up next section. How movies and shows appear when you first purchase them, the way they show the title and a cover picture, that’s exactly how they look when I watch them or go back to finish an episode. It never changes

Jan 18, 2021 2:03 PM in response to reetreefree

Hi reetreefree,

It sounds like content is still showing in Up Next in the Apple TV app after you've finished watching it, correct? We'd like to help.

Just to confirm, are all of your devices signed into the same account? Which devices are you using?

"If you have an iPad or iPhone and are signed in with the same account you use for Apple TV, your viewing progress and episode selection stay in sync in the Apple TV app on those devices. For example, you can start watching a show on your Apple TV and finish watching it on iPad, or vice versa."

You can find more information about viewing progress, and how to remove items from Up Next on the following page:

Watch Now in the Apple TV app

Take care!

Jan 21, 2021 7:48 AM in response to reetreefree

reetreefree,

Thanks for letting us know.

Just to confirm, does this only happen after the device you're watching content on has disconnected from the internet? If so, do you see any error messages when this occurs?

To help narrow this behavior down further, would you mind letting us know which devices you're using with the Apple TV app, and which software versions they're running?

If you're using an iOS device, here's how to find the iOS version: Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2021 11:59 AM in response to reetreefree

reetreefree,

Thanks for keeping your devices updated.

Can you also confirm if the issue only happens when your devices have disconnected from the internet while watching content? If so, does the issue happen when using cellular data Wi-Fi, or both?

More information about connecting your devices to the internet can be found in the below links:

Connect iPhone to the internet

Connect iPad to the internet

Thank you!

TV app not updating or showing watch progress for video content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.