Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder freezing while copying files from external sources.

Hi everyone,

I've currently purchased a second hand MacBook Pro ( 2011 i7 16gb ram High Sierra )

Everything works great on it but for some strange reason when I try to copy files over whether that be an external hd or usb stick it is freezing as it gets up to 200mb or below.

Its reading data fine but strangely freaking out when trying to copy data over 🤷🏻‍♂️

Btw, Ive tried copying over in safe mode with the same results.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 4:25 AM

3 replies

Jan 18, 2021 1:30 PM in response to M_Hampson

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, M_Hampson!

We understand Finder is freezing when transferring data over from external drives. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Since you mentioned you've already tried safe mode, you may want to try restoring the MacBook Pro to factory settings, and test to see if a new setup helps: How to erase your Intel-based Mac

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Jan 20, 2021 3:10 AM in response to alma1090

Thanks for your reply, digging more into the issue I have discovered that the freezing happens when I try to send data to an installed optibay with a secondary hard drive installed. The secondary drive seems to be working fine while reading but wont accept any incoming data being copied over ( starts then stalls). The optibay has been installed from another macbook pro 2011 (13") and didnt have any issues with that, so obviously since installing in my current macbook its hit this problem. Ive ruled out hard drive issues as I tried another and hit the same problem. Ive troubleshooted sharing / permissions and everything is set how it should, ive tried to send data via external drive, from the system drive, even from mac to mac transfer but all stalls after a certain point. The only other thing I can do as suggested is to reinstall High Sierra. A very annoying and frustrating problem.

Thank you,

Mark H

Finder freezing while copying files from external sources.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.