Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcodes during repair

I was told I have to turn off passcodes to get a new screen by certified AppleCare tech and staff. This opens anything on that phone. I deleted passwords before handing it over but what a hassle. Is there a repair or tech support mode? Seems ridiculous to hand over a device with photos, contacts, etc. and being told I have to trust somebody won’t snoop. Security exists for a reason.

dont know which topic didn’t see a General iOS topic.

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:43 AM

Wipe your device before you send it for repair after you back it up.

Apple's official directions:

1. If you need to send in an iPhone that's paired with an Apple Watch, unpair your devices. When you unpair, your iPhone will create a new backup of your Apple Watch. You can use the backup to restore your Apple Watch when your iPhone returns from service.
  2. Back up your iOS device.
  3. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  4. Go to Settings > [your name] > Find My [device], then turn off Find My [device] to disable Activation Lock. Enter your Apple ID password, and tap Turn Off.
  5. Erase your device. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If asked, enter your passcode and Apple ID password. If you can't erase your device because it won't power on or isn't responding, you can erase it from iCloud.com. Learn how.

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 8:43 AM in response to mwizniki

Wipe your device before you send it for repair after you back it up.

Apple's official directions:

1. If you need to send in an iPhone that's paired with an Apple Watch, unpair your devices. When you unpair, your iPhone will create a new backup of your Apple Watch. You can use the backup to restore your Apple Watch when your iPhone returns from service.
  2. Back up your iOS device.
  3. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  4. Go to Settings > [your name] > Find My [device], then turn off Find My [device] to disable Activation Lock. Enter your Apple ID password, and tap Turn Off.
  5. Erase your device. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If asked, enter your passcode and Apple ID password. If you can't erase your device because it won't power on or isn't responding, you can erase it from iCloud.com. Learn how.

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

Passcodes during repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.