Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cropping imovie problem

I'm trying to crop a short movie edit, but don't have crop options on the edit except fit/crop-to-fill/ken burns, none of which will let me crop to a square for IG

If I click on the raw unedited footage in 'my media' the crop options all appear - but I want to crop the edited version, not the original.

How do I crop my edited/splice footage? Or get the crop settings to come up? Or can I only crop the complete unedited clip?

Also I'm trying to remove clips from 'my media', but only get an option to delete them, when I want to move them - so how do I move without them being deleted? - thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:12 AM

Here's a help link that will provide step-by-step directions for cropping a clip in the browser view:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Select your clip in the Browser and it will appear in the preview screen. Then click on the crop tool. That will cause a "Crop" button to appear in the upper left of the viewer screen. Click on the crop button and an adjustable rectangle will appear in the preview screen. You can drag the edges of the adjustment rectangle to any dimension that you want. To apply your changes click on the blue Apply button above and to the right of the viewer screen. That will result in the crop being applied to the clip in the Browser. Drag the cropped clip into the timeline.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 9:12 AM in response to davey17x

Here's a help link that will provide step-by-step directions for cropping a clip in the browser view:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

Select your clip in the Browser and it will appear in the preview screen. Then click on the crop tool. That will cause a "Crop" button to appear in the upper left of the viewer screen. Click on the crop button and an adjustable rectangle will appear in the preview screen. You can drag the edges of the adjustment rectangle to any dimension that you want. To apply your changes click on the blue Apply button above and to the right of the viewer screen. That will result in the crop being applied to the clip in the Browser. Drag the cropped clip into the timeline.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Jan 17, 2021 5:33 PM in response to davey17x

You need to do your edits on the clip in a project created for the purpose. Then share it out and import it into an iMovie project. Then you can crop the clip to any dimension in the media browser (not the timeline) as the clip is displayed when you click on the project name under the Project Media heading at the top of the project sidebar.

You cannot move a clip from the Project Media to another Event. You can drag it into an Event, which will then copy the media to the event but it will still remain in the Project Media. Take a look at this help link:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov74d7d370c

-- Rich

cropping imovie problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.