Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos can't export or edit photos taken with iPhone.

Error message when dragging file to desktop: Unknown error(2)

Error message when using File > Export: (Cocoa error -1)

Error message when using File > Export Unmodified Original: Unknown error(4), BUT it does export the HEIC live photo as a .mov file

iPhone videos also will not play in Photos.

Pictures taken with nikon camera seem to not be affected.

Meanwhile "Photos Library.photoslibrary" is greyed out and has created date of 1/24/1984

I copied the photo library to an external drive, create date of the copy is 12/31/1969 and has identical symptoms, minus the greyed filename.

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 11:34 PM

What version of Macos do you have. Which phone do you have?

If Sierra or earlier, then it cannot work with HEIC images

What do you mean by "is greyed out"? Where is it greyed out (in which app, and what are you trying to do with it.

Have you checked the path and filename of the library that is being used by photos in preferences?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 11:34 PM in response to tommybarbour

What version of Macos do you have. Which phone do you have?

If Sierra or earlier, then it cannot work with HEIC images

What do you mean by "is greyed out"? Where is it greyed out (in which app, and what are you trying to do with it.

Have you checked the path and filename of the library that is being used by photos in preferences?

Jan 19, 2021 1:37 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony, I am only seeing files greyed out in the Finder, when they are in use by the system, for example, while they are being copied . Perhaps the copying off the library between the two drives has not yet finished. Copying a large library can take a long time. Perhaps a failed copying has left the file system on the system volume on an inconsistent state.

Tommy may want to try to repair the system Drive with Disk Utility (in Recovery Mode: About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support)

Jan 19, 2021 1:03 AM in response to tommybarbour

Sorry - you can't unsolve it - you've given me the points now 🙂

Don't worry - I'll still try to help though. If I run out of steam (or you are not confident in my suggestions - I won't be offended) you might want to repost as the solved flag will stop some others from looking.

I think at this stage it is a good idea to have a backup of the library in it's current state - you have it on an external drive, but this is only a good backup if the drive is formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled). If it is, then leave it there, don't try to open it from the external drive, but keep it for a restore.

I've no idea why it is greyed out or has a stupid creation date. Never seen that before. Have you ever used dulicate deletion apps, or mac clean up/speed up apps?

A few things to try...

Restart your mac in safe mode, and try to open the library. Does the problem persist. If it doesn't there is a chance that when you restart normally it will continue to work.

Try creating a new empty library, importing some images and see if that library works correctly

Create a new user account, copy the library to that users pictures folder, and see if it works in that user account.

Finally try a library repair (Hold down the option key while starting photos and use the repair option). This is why the backup is important. Library repair can sometimes make things worse.

Mac Photos can't export or edit photos taken with iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.