Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Overheating - Only one fan working?

When I have multiple programs open at once, my MacBook Pro (2020) becomes very hot, to the point where it is uncomfortable to hold on my lap due to the heat. Once my Macbook becomes hot and the fans begin, I have noticed that hot air is only coming out of the right-hand side fan on the rear of the MacBook and I find this odd as I assumed hot air would come from both.

Is it likely that the left-hand side fan is broken and needs fixing? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 7:59 PM

Apple does not sell any computer as a laptop -- only Notebook computers. To use on your lap, be sure to obtain a lap desk -- essentially a smooth flat surface with a beanbag attached below.

The 13-in MacBook Pro only has one fan. The diagnostic and some system reports may tell you the second fan is not spinning. That is because it is not present in those models, only in the 15/16-in models.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 7:59 PM in response to BenGrainger

Apple does not sell any computer as a laptop -- only Notebook computers. To use on your lap, be sure to obtain a lap desk -- essentially a smooth flat surface with a beanbag attached below.

The 13-in MacBook Pro only has one fan. The diagnostic and some system reports may tell you the second fan is not spinning. That is because it is not present in those models, only in the 15/16-in models.

Macbook Pro Overheating - Only one fan working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.