Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do incomplete software updates are stored on a Mac?

I've been trying to download a copy of Big Sur from App Store (still it was taking me to download it from System Preferences app) to make an installation flash drive for another Mac with replaced SSD.

I downloaded half of the bundle, then the download interrupted. However, the disk space remains taken. I need to know where the incomplete part of the download is stored, so I can delete it and clear disk space.

I googled a lot of forums, some people say that it stores in Applications folder, which is not true, some say it stores in /Library/Updates, but there's only .plist files for the update there, some say it stores in /Library/Application Support, which is also not true, I studied every folder inside and haven't found anything.

I need help to know where do Macs (macOS 11.x) store incomplete system and application updates.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:12 AM

Yes. Downloads folder, Application folder, /Library/Caches, /Library/Application Support, /Library/Updates, checked it all.

I even contacted Apple support, and they didn't know where partial downloads are kept. They tried to guess it and haven't found.

By the way, I tried to download it again, and it failed again, and now the "other" category in "About my Mac" > "Storage" weights 30+ gb. Before I started trying to download OS image, this category was less than 10gb.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 3:12 AM in response to mulberry58

Yes. Downloads folder, Application folder, /Library/Caches, /Library/Application Support, /Library/Updates, checked it all.

I even contacted Apple support, and they didn't know where partial downloads are kept. They tried to guess it and haven't found.

By the way, I tried to download it again, and it failed again, and now the "other" category in "About my Mac" > "Storage" weights 30+ gb. Before I started trying to download OS image, this category was less than 10gb.

Where do incomplete software updates are stored on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.