Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home folder and user name are different causing issues!

So I did something that was in retrospect pretty stupid and it's causing all kinds of strange issues on my macbook pro (running mojave) and I am right now stuck somewhere pretty remote in a mountain village so no way to take it to any store anytime soon.. basically a few months back I wanted to change the username of my account that I use (I am the only user of this computer) but I didn't realise that you also apparently needed to change the name of the home folder (and the path to that) which I discovered after doing some research today..

So now I have one user name but the home folder still has the old name, there is a folder inside the 'users' folder with my new username but it has nothing in it except a folder called documents and it is just a normal folder it seems, not a 'home' folder with the house icon, which is still there in the user folder (but with the old user name)

Now when I have issues with software that I'm using and for example want to trash pref files or things like that to force programs to rebuild databases to resolve issues with missing plugins it doesn't seem to work and I'm wondering if it's because I have this mismatch in names. Apple says that the username MUST be the same as the name of the home folder. So should I then change my username BACK to the old one which would then match the home folder? But would doing that mess up all the work I've done in the last months somehow or affect programs that currently work ok.. If I had just changed this recently then I could use a time machine backup and restore it to before I changed it but have done months of work since then..

Or should I attempt to change the home folder name to match my new user name, which is a little scary as some posts I've read say you need to use terminal etc and now I'm worried about making the situation worse as for the most part the computer is functional right now and like I said I won't be able to take it to anyone to help for a long time.

Unfortunately it's out of warranty so calling apple support not an option! Any advice?

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 8:15 AM

stevegibbsproductions wrote:

So I did something that was in retrospect pretty stupid and it's causing all kinds of strange issues on my macbook pro (running mojave) and I am right now stuck somewhere pretty remote in a mountain village so no way to take it to any store anytime soon.. basically a few months back I wanted to change the username of my account that I use (I am the only user of this computer) but I didn't realise that you also apparently needed to change the name of the home folder (and the path to that) which I discovered after doing some research today..

So now I have one user name but the home folder still has the old name, there is a folder inside the 'users' folder with my new username but it has nothing in it except a folder called documents and it is just a normal folder it seems, not a 'home' folder with the house icon, which is still there in the user folder (but with the old user name)

Now when I have issues with software that I'm using and for example want to trash pref files or things like that to force programs to rebuild databases to resolve issues with missing plugins it doesn't seem to work and I'm wondering if it's because I have this mismatch in names. Apple says that the username MUST be the same as the name of the home folder. So should I then change my username BACK to the old one which would then match the home folder? But would doing that mess up all the work I've done in the last months somehow or affect programs that currently work ok.. If I had just changed this recently then I could use a time machine backup and restore it to before I changed it but have done months of work since then..

Or should I attempt to change the home folder name to match my new user name, which is a little scary as some posts I've read say you need to use terminal etc and now I'm worried about making the situation worse as for the most part the computer is functional right now and like I said I won't be able to take it to anyone to help for a long time.

Unfortunately it's out of warranty so calling apple support not an option! Any advice?

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

You can reference— https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8227002

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 8:15 AM in response to stevegibbsproductions

stevegibbsproductions wrote:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

You can reference— https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8227002

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Home folder and user name are different causing issues!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.