Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open downloaded files

Yesterday I restored a Time Machine backup and since then I can no longer open downloaded files. I get a message that the file is damaged and needs to be moved to the trash. It happens with all kinds of files (PDF, dmg and other). I tried to start up in the safe mode, but that did not help. I see that more people have the same problem, but I have not found a solution yet. How do I resolve this problem

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 6:50 AM

The Issue as per the much appreciated Screen Shot above it that the internal drive CT1000MX500SSD is in GUID Journaled. Guessing this was done when it was Restored from the Time Machine Backup.

Catalina requires the Internal Drive to be formatted as APFS and not GUID. That would mean drive CT1000MX500SSD needs to be Wiped - ALL content will be lost. Then Reformatted as APFS with Scheme GUID Partition Map and only then everything reinstalled.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Rokle

The Issue as per the much appreciated Screen Shot above it that the internal drive CT1000MX500SSD is in GUID Journaled. Guessing this was done when it was Restored from the Time Machine Backup.

Catalina requires the Internal Drive to be formatted as APFS and not GUID. That would mean drive CT1000MX500SSD needs to be Wiped - ALL content will be lost. Then Reformatted as APFS with Scheme GUID Partition Map and only then everything reinstalled.

Jan 19, 2021 3:01 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks again. I tried this a dozen times, but it did not resolve the problem either.

This is what my directory looks like:

When I try to run the First Aid on the CT1000MX500SSD in safe mode, I get an error: there are some problems with the partition layout... Disk cannot be activated. I can run First Aid on this disk in normal mode without error.

This is what the Conatiner disk1 looks like:

When I run the First Aid on the Container disk1, I get several errors on the different snapshots. At the end it says:

Performing deferred repairs

error: nchildren of inode object (id1310819) does not match expected value (1)

Deferred reparis failed

The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely.

Jan 18, 2021 11:53 AM in response to PRP_53

I tried this (for Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data) but it did not solve the issue. This is the information I got from the Macintosh HD - Data section:

Performing deferred repairs.

error: Unable to perform deferred repairs without full space verification

error: Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

I assume that this causes the problem, but I still don't know how to fix it.

Unable to open downloaded files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.