Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur installation failed

When I attempt to download macOS Big Sur, I get a notification that the installation failed. I have 64 GB of storage, so I know storage is not an issue, and it is a 2020 MacBook Air, so it is compatible. Any advice on how to get the update to download and install? For context, the download will get anywhere from 1GB to 10GB downloaded before the "installation failed" notification comes up.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 8:11 AM

Guessing it is being done via Wifi. Shutdown and move as close as possible to router. Shutdown router and start it again. Connect MBA to Charger. Disconnect all external drives. Disconnect all Other devices using Wifi . Start MBA in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at startup. Open Apple Apps Store and download Big Sur. Do not allow the Screen Save to activate and no open Applications running either. Be patient as Big Sur is 12.18 GB in size. When the count down clock say 10 minutes remain - in Real Time maybe 30 - 40 minutes - Normal. More patience and once totally downloaded it will launch and try to install. Follow all prompts and hopefully it reboots in Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 8:11 AM in response to Mac_questions1

Guessing it is being done via Wifi. Shutdown and move as close as possible to router. Shutdown router and start it again. Connect MBA to Charger. Disconnect all external drives. Disconnect all Other devices using Wifi . Start MBA in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at startup. Open Apple Apps Store and download Big Sur. Do not allow the Screen Save to activate and no open Applications running either. Be patient as Big Sur is 12.18 GB in size. When the count down clock say 10 minutes remain - in Real Time maybe 30 - 40 minutes - Normal. More patience and once totally downloaded it will launch and try to install. Follow all prompts and hopefully it reboots in Big Sur.

macOS Big Sur installation failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.