Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

editing an Automator app

I wrote an Automator workflow and saved it as an app so I could schedule it for periodic execution. Now I need to edit it; is there any way to edit an Automator app or, alternatively, to open it as a workflow for editing?

The above question above was asked and answered on Jan 26, 2009 in the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard forum. The answer then was:

start automator and drag the app you made to automator icon in the dock. this will let you edit the original workflow in automator.

This solution is not working for me; I'm using Mac OS v11.1 Big Sur on a late 2014 Mac Mini. Please advise.

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 7:26 AM

I mentioned the approach that I have been using for years (including on Big Sur) to edit prior applications, and it always works for me. The application icons between an Automator and AppleScript saved application are unmistakable. In the latter case, you would launch Script Editor, and with the file chooser, select the application to open it for editing — where you edit the script code within the application itself.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 7:26 AM in response to CaptainJoy

I mentioned the approach that I have been using for years (including on Big Sur) to edit prior applications, and it always works for me. The application icons between an Automator and AppleScript saved application are unmistakable. In the latter case, you would launch Script Editor, and with the file chooser, select the application to open it for editing — where you edit the script code within the application itself.

Jan 19, 2021 7:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

When I do the above, a get a small pop-up that says: "The document “Setup For Work.app” could not be opened. 

". I get the same message when I try to open a different app I had also previously made with Automator.

But thanks, Viking OSX, for helping me explore other options.

Is it possible I made these with AppleScript and not Automator? Stranger things have happened. Problem is, in my Applications folder, I see Automator.app, but nothing like AppleScripts.app or Script Editor.app.

Jan 19, 2021 3:38 PM in response to CaptainJoy

Use the following AppleScript to determine if your application was created by Automator, or Script Editor.

use scripting additions

set theApp to POSIX path of (choose file of type {"com.apple.application-bundle"} default location (path to desktop)) as text
set build_root to theApp & "/Contents/Info.plist"

set app_type to (do shell script "/usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c \"print :CFBundleIdentifier\" " & build_root)
if app_type contains "automator" then
	display alert "Automator application bundle" message "Open in Automator to edit." giving up after 10
else if app_tupe contains "ScriptEditor" then
	display alert "Script Editor application bundle" message "Open in Script Editor to edit." giving up after 10
end if
return

Tested on macOS 11.1.

editing an Automator app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.