Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Keyboard won’t connect to my iMac

My USB keyboard won’t connect to my iMac. I have tried connecting another keyboard and get the same result. I’ve seen older posts recommending plugging a flash drive in to the keyboard - didn’t work. Shutting down, holding keys down does not work. I can’t log in to change settings, so those recommendations aren’t an option. I have work I need to access. Anyone have a workable solution?

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:22 AM

M4keith95 Said:

"USB Keyboard won’t connect to my iMac: [...]holding keys down does not work.[...]"

-------

Five Thoughts:

A. Three Resets:

Try performing an SMC and NVRAM reset thrice. - it may take up to three tries each.

B. New User:

Try creating a new Administrator (for troubleshooting purposes). See if it then works. It id does work, then it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

C. Any Security Software?:

Security Software would disallow items to be connected to a Mac, if such a setting is an option on it. So, uninstall the software.

D. Brand-for-Brand:

Is this an Apple USB keyboard? If not, try using one, as going brand-for-brand may be the way to go about this.

E. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: Shift key upon boot]. In Safe Mode, damaged files are reset and fixed to how they should be. So, boot into it, wait 30 seconds, then restart the Mac, logging in as usual, seeing where things go from there.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 11:22 AM in response to M4keith95

M4keith95 Said:

"USB Keyboard won’t connect to my iMac: [...]holding keys down does not work.[...]"

-------

Five Thoughts:

A. Three Resets:

Try performing an SMC and NVRAM reset thrice. - it may take up to three tries each.

B. New User:

Try creating a new Administrator (for troubleshooting purposes). See if it then works. It id does work, then it is likely something misconfigured in the current user.

C. Any Security Software?:

Security Software would disallow items to be connected to a Mac, if such a setting is an option on it. So, uninstall the software.

D. Brand-for-Brand:

Is this an Apple USB keyboard? If not, try using one, as going brand-for-brand may be the way to go about this.

E. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: Shift key upon boot]. In Safe Mode, damaged files are reset and fixed to how they should be. So, boot into it, wait 30 seconds, then restart the Mac, logging in as usual, seeing where things go from there.

USB Keyboard won’t connect to my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.