Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages not sending to non-iPhone users

Anytime I try to send a text message to non-iPhone users or try to send pictures via text it says message failure. I have powered down and restarted. I have ensured SMS messaging is on and continue to have the issue. Any suggestions?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 1:25 AM

Recast08 wrote:

Yes, thanks I am aware non-Apple iPhones don't receive iMessage.

My question is if I am part of a group message and I try to send a text to the group, it will not send. And it only happens when the group has non-iPhone users. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for your help!

On Group iMessage, you cannot add users who are not using iMessage.

BTW, iMessage will work on other iDevices (iPad, iPod) in addition to iPhone.

So you can send either Group SMS (text) or Group MMS (pictures, etc.) to non-iMessage users. These will be sent through your carrier. And it shall be delivered through their carrier(s). If something is not working out, you'll can try verify with your carrier(s) if your plan supports SMS/MMS and your phones are configured correctly.

Send a group text message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 1:25 AM in response to Recast08

Recast08 wrote:

Yes, thanks I am aware non-Apple iPhones don't receive iMessage.

My question is if I am part of a group message and I try to send a text to the group, it will not send. And it only happens when the group has non-iPhone users. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for your help!

On Group iMessage, you cannot add users who are not using iMessage.

BTW, iMessage will work on other iDevices (iPad, iPod) in addition to iPhone.

So you can send either Group SMS (text) or Group MMS (pictures, etc.) to non-iMessage users. These will be sent through your carrier. And it shall be delivered through their carrier(s). If something is not working out, you'll can try verify with your carrier(s) if your plan supports SMS/MMS and your phones are configured correctly.

Send a group text message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Text messages not sending to non-iPhone users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.