Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme signal distance w/ current Airport Utility, and erratic signal

I've got an Airport Extreme v. 7.8.1 and have had steadily worsening wifi/internet connectivity issues for 3 months, especially the last couple of weeks. Could be an issue with my ISP or cable modem but I'm looking at all possibilities.

At an earlier time with this same Airport, the Utility software (or the firmware) supported setting a WiFi signal radius - a broadcast distance from the base station. I just tried to check that setting, and it is not in the current version of my Airport Utility .

My concern is how I can know whether the restriction I had placed on the signal is still in effect, without my having access to it?

I am using the wifi constantly in a room further from the base than was usual when I set it up, and don't know if I am kept from having a decent signal due to this old setting. This is a small house and though on another floor, there are only 2 interior walls and nothing like pipes or tile between me and the base, linear distance only about 25 feet.

Anyone know if the signal distance setting might be an issue, and if so what I can do about it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:37 PM

I've got an Airport Extreme v. 7.8.1

7.8.1 is the firmware version installed on the AirPort Extreme. Unfortunately, this does not tell us much about the product that you have.

Please look on the bottom of the device for the model number, which is usually embedded in the foam pad base. The model number starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. For example........A 1143, A1301, A 1354, etc. Post back the model number so we will know which product that you have.

At an earlier time with this same Airport, the Utility software (or the firmware) supported setting a WiFi signal radius - a broadcast distance from the base station.

Earlier versions of AirPort Utility displayed a setting for broadcast power.......100%, 75%, 50%, 25%. By default, the AirPort is set at the factory for 100% power, so unless you changed this setting, the AirPort is broadcasting at max power.

AirPort Utility versions for the past 5-6 years do not have a setting to adjust the broadcast power.

My concern is how I can know whether the restriction I had placed on the signal is still in effect, without my having access to it?

If you changed the setting for broadcast power, the AirPort retained that setting. Apple never changed the PC version of AirPort Utility, so if you have a PC......or a friend has a PC......you can install AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows and get at the broadcast power settings that way.

am using the wifi constantly in a room further from the base than was usual when I set it up, and don't know if I am kept from having a decent signal due to this old setting.

Very likely, if the broadcast signal is still set to a lower power setting.

This is a small house and though on another floor, there are only 2 interior walls and nothing like pipes or tile between me and the base, linear distance only about 25 feet.

Anyone know if the signal distance setting might be an issue, and if so what I can do about it?

A ceiling barrier is typically much more dense than an average wall, so it is normal to expect that a ceiling will absorb 3-4 times the amount of signal than an average wall might absorb.

Some types of wall insulation have a metal foil backing on one or both sides of the insulating material. Plaster walls on metal lathe really absorb a high degree of the signal as well.

See the information above.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 3:37 PM in response to CTladybug

I've got an Airport Extreme v. 7.8.1

7.8.1 is the firmware version installed on the AirPort Extreme. Unfortunately, this does not tell us much about the product that you have.

Please look on the bottom of the device for the model number, which is usually embedded in the foam pad base. The model number starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. For example........A 1143, A1301, A 1354, etc. Post back the model number so we will know which product that you have.

At an earlier time with this same Airport, the Utility software (or the firmware) supported setting a WiFi signal radius - a broadcast distance from the base station.

Earlier versions of AirPort Utility displayed a setting for broadcast power.......100%, 75%, 50%, 25%. By default, the AirPort is set at the factory for 100% power, so unless you changed this setting, the AirPort is broadcasting at max power.

AirPort Utility versions for the past 5-6 years do not have a setting to adjust the broadcast power.

If you changed the setting for broadcast power, the AirPort retained that setting. Apple never changed the PC version of AirPort Utility, so if you have a PC......or a friend has a PC......you can install AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows and get at the broadcast power settings that way.

am using the wifi constantly in a room further from the base than was usual when I set it up, and don't know if I am kept from having a decent signal due to this old setting.

Very likely, if the broadcast signal is still set to a lower power setting.

This is a small house and though on another floor, there are only 2 interior walls and nothing like pipes or tile between me and the base, linear distance only about 25 feet.

A ceiling barrier is typically much more dense than an average wall, so it is normal to expect that a ceiling will absorb 3-4 times the amount of signal than an average wall might absorb.

Some types of wall insulation have a metal foil backing on one or both sides of the insulating material. Plaster walls on metal lathe really absorb a high degree of the signal as well.

See the information above.

Jan 19, 2021 5:28 PM in response to CTladybug

Edit to above post.

If you do not have a PC and if you do not have a friend with a PC, you do have the option to perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Extreme and then set it up again.

The reset process will change the current settings on the AirPort back to the original factory defaults.......which would be full broadcast power on the AirPort Extreme.

You can use the same wireless network name and password that you used before, so your WiFi devices will be able to connect to the AirPort Extreme again without having to set up a new connection on each device.

Jan 20, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for pointing me to the Windows Airport Utility; that allowed me to confirm that the broadcast power was set to 100%, so my issues lie elsewhere.

It appears I will have to extend my network to get a better signal.

Based on other recommendations in threads here in Community I also tried setting my Airport to Bridge mode, but after the update it did not get an I.P. address so all wifi internet connectivity was lost. Does that indicate that my ISP-provided cable modem is not configured with "DHCP Enable", or suggest some other issue? I am not sure how to (or if I can) access the cable modem settings. Might I get a better signal if the Airport were in bridge mode?

Jan 20, 2021 10:40 AM in response to CTladybug

It sounds like the device that you are calling your "cable modem" is more than a modem......it is a "modem/router" or "gateway" device that is both a modem and WiFi router in one package. If your "cable modem" is providing your WiFi signal, then you have a modem/router or gateway type of device.

A pure "modem" does not provide a WiFi signal, and it will have only one Ethernet port on the back of the device. Is this the type of device that you have? What is the make and model number of this device?

If that is the case, the AirPort Extreme can be used to "extend" the signal from the modem/router......but.....and this is a big "but" for most folks.......the AirPort Extreme must connect back to your modem/router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

For example, if you need more coverage in the bedroom area of the home, then you could locate the AirPort Extreme in that general area and set it up to provide more coverage.....IF.....the AirPort Extreme is connected back to your modem/router using an Ethernet cable connection.

The AirPort Extreme cannot "extend" the WiFi signal of the modem/router using only a wireless connection if that might be what you are trying to accomplish. It can only do this if it is connecting back to another Apple AirPort router......and AirPort Express, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Extreme.

What is it that you want the AirPort Extreme to do? How will it connect to your ISP modem/router?

A WiFi signal degrades in signal strength and speed very quickly, so if you have a WiFi device that is a few rooms away from the AirPort Extreme it may or may not be able to receive a strong enough signal to maintain a reliable connection.

Bridge Mode would not be the correct setting for the AirPort Extreme if you have a simple modem......the kind with only one Ethernet port.

Jan 21, 2021 7:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

My cable modem appears to be just that; it is a Cisco DPC3208 manufactured in 2014 with a single Ethernet port, to which my Airport Extreme A1408 is directly connected with a cable. So currently my assumption is I have a cable modem (not modem/router) and need the Airport to handle the routing functions. I had also forgotten how old the AE was; thought it had been replaced in past 6 years, but it was probably about 8. I am replacing the cable-company-provided modem with a Motorola MB7621 in a couple of days, but it sounds like I should replace the router too and look at either a mesh network or some means of extending the signal. Unfortunately I have a single incoming cable at one end of the house, so I can't move the base setup to a more central location.

Jan 21, 2021 6:23 PM in response to CTladybug

My cable modem appears to be just that; it is a Cisco DPC3208 manufactured in 2014 with a single Ethernet port

Thanks for the clarification on that.

to which my Airport Extreme A1408 is directly connected with a cable

Got that.

and need the Airport to handle the routing functions.

Correct, that is why the AirPort must be configured as a DHCP and NAT router. It cannot be set up in Bridge Mode. If you had another router "ahead" of the AirPort on the network.....then.....the correct setting for the AirPort would be Bridge Mode.

I had also forgotten how old the AE was

The A1408 AirPort Extreme was introduced in June 2011 and discontinued in June 2013, so the AirPort is at least 7+ years old and as much as 9+ depending on when it was placed into service.

5-6 years....on average.....is about it as far the useful life of a router designed for home use, so you have done very well.

I am replacing the cable-company-provided modem with a Motorola MB7621 in a couple of days, but it sounds like I should replace the router too and look at either a mesh network or some means of extending the signal.

I would try using the AirPort Extreme with the new modem to see if there is any improvement. If not, then it is really is time to replace the AirPort Extreme.

Mesh wise, the Netgear Orbi system seems to be appearing at or near the top of a number of "best" lists, so the Netgear would definitely be on my "look list" if I were moving to a new system. Most mesh systems offer a 2 piece or 3 piece solution, so you should have really good WiFi coverage throughout the house.

Another option......if the budget is tight......would be to look for a used A1408 AirPort Extreme on Ebay and set it up to "extend" the WiFi signal provided by your main AirPort router. I would expect to pay $50-70 for a used AirPort Extreme.

Even better would be connecting both AirPorts together using Ethernet, but you may not want to run the Ethernet cable through the house.

Good luck!

Airport Extreme signal distance w/ current Airport Utility, and erratic signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.