Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Snip out a section of video?

This should be simple - but I come from audio editing and can't see how to "snip" video in the same way we do audio.

I want to remove a section of video in place with no affect to anything else (iMovie 10).

Remove from the middle without having the entire video's length change.

I've already split clip to keep the audio separated, but every time I delete the video part I don't want - everything following moves forward. I don't want that - I want it to stay in place in the timeline.

I'm using the audio to determine the length of the video and then dropping images on top to track.

The ending video part is set - I want to alter the middle - hope this makes sense?

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 12:09 PM

Hi,

There is no need for you to snip out the video clips that you have indicated with the red X's. As your playhead moves down the timeline it will cut away to play the clips that you have inserted in the upper timeline as if the Xed out clips were not there. You may need to mute the audio in the upper or lower clips depending on what audio track you want to hear. That is the purpose of the cutaway feature.

If you remove clips from the timeline there is no way to avoid the following clips moving forward to fill up the empty space. The only way to prevent that is to insert a black background or other spacer into the hole that was created when the clips were removed.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 12:09 PM in response to igirl1

Hi,

There is no need for you to snip out the video clips that you have indicated with the red X's. As your playhead moves down the timeline it will cut away to play the clips that you have inserted in the upper timeline as if the Xed out clips were not there. You may need to mute the audio in the upper or lower clips depending on what audio track you want to hear. That is the purpose of the cutaway feature.

If you remove clips from the timeline there is no way to avoid the following clips moving forward to fill up the empty space. The only way to prevent that is to insert a black background or other spacer into the hole that was created when the clips were removed.

-- Rich

How To Snip out a section of video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.